TechSpot

World's third largest spam botnet 'Grum' taken down

By Jos
Jul 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Security researchers announced they've dismantled the world's third-largest botnet, known as Grum, which is believed to have been responsible for 18% of the world's spam. The shutdown was a joint effort between California security firm FireEye, the British-based Spamhaus Project,……

Read more

DjKraid likes this.
  2. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 407   +78

Good, to bad there are still more out there.

3. They "convinced" these companies to pull the plug on the Botnet? It should be illegal to knowingly allow these sort of actions passively occur in relevance to your company.

I just saw a post about spam posting as the "FBI" and saying that the computer has illegally downloaded material on it, and if you don't pay an upfront fine of $200 then further legal action will be taken. How much money is that robbing from our elderly and/or gullible citizens??? There needs to be set-in-place a multi-national funded organization to fight eCrime and physically have the right to go to any said nations to remove the issue.

What happens when someone creates a worm that takes down systems world-wide while self-protecting itself from anti-virus removal? With these sick people being protected within their borders, there is literally nothing to do about it?

4. It is very interesting. All these spam bot nets are getting supposedly taken down but I still get the penus enlargement pill spam. They are taking out the wrong bot nets. Also my spam still don't seem to lighten. Maybe they need to take yahoo down or msn. So my spam stops. Akamai anyone?

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Because its just an odd coincidence that these servers are hosted in completely corrupt nations?

6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

great...now get the top two :D

7. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Well think about this...how much bandwidth do these bot nets use? So every bot net that gets taken down frees up more bandwidth for everyone else. However, any company that would willingly allow any bot net to do business with them needs to have thier business license pulled.

8. does it mean I got spam reduced by 18% on my inbox? :p
    now, get the top two please..

9. Yahoo should reach out to all those disgruntled users complaining of hijacked accounts. Fixing these should at least convince other free mail providers to follow suite.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.