WORM victim!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I am in severe panic mode here:

Trend Micro's PC-Cillin discovered 'WORM_SDBOT.BUY" yesterday completely out of the blue. It can be found in c:\windows\system32\msconfig32.exe I looked there and it will not show up.

It lets me know that I have it, but gives me no option to clean/remove/quarantine for some reason. Also, now suddenly the taskmanager and msconfig will only appear for a split second and vanish.

One other problem that has just started so I assume is somehow related; is my internet connection is constantly being interrupted and disconnected. It could be coincidence but at this point I believe there is something evil happening. (I am on dial-up.)

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that I am using XP Home SP1a

Thanks a lot for your time, I am very appreciative!

Hmmm. Symantec's online database doesn't have an exact match, but comes up with THIS .

Try running this online check on your system, and let us know what it comes up with: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Once you get rid of that worm probably best to run through all of this HERE as well to clean your system up.

It takes time to go through all the steps, but it works. After you are finished, you should also post your hijackthis log file here for someone to take a look at and make sure you got all the junk out.

Instructions on how to post your hijackthis file are HERE

And for GAWD's sake, upgrade to SP2! :bounce:

Thanks for the reply, I will do that online test in a moment.

Like I said though, I'm on dial-up (I'm a km out of range to get broadband) and SP2 is pretty big isn't it? Thats pretty much a no-go for me.

I am so bummed about this.

check out bazzoka spyware remover from download.com
you have to do it manually but it never fails.

on a personal note: dont install SP2, it sodomized my computer! i lost 250Gigs worth of movies, music and personal files and now i cant even access my HD to reinstall XP.

Galaxy, your SP2 experience is hardly the norm. If it was, Microsoft would have proven the extent of their quality department.

My advice on SP2 is, install it on a fresh load of Windows. Or if you are 100% sure you have NO spyware and viruses and anything else that shouldn't be there. A fresh load works best.
It's to late for updates now, though, you need to be clean first!

perhaps you could try another anti-virus prog because your case seems to be a 1% problem.
try ewido. it worked for me. hope you are not using norton, it doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back