TechSpot

Worth replacing the hard drive, battery and buying recovery disks?

By techchic
Jan 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I currently have a Lenovo laptop and have had it for 2 and a half years. The battery has always been pretty bad and last about 3 minutes unplugged. The hard drive is a temperamental one from an old laptop as the original broke for no apparent reason, probably didn't help I was constantly having to rebuild it too. I know it is stupid but when I got this laptop I was young and naive and didn't realise how essential recovery disks are.
    I realise to replace all of these would be quite expensive so am wondering whether it is worth just buying a new laptop?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

We need more information to comment.
    There are at least 7 levels of Lenovo laptop... Is this a T-series... or just what is it? model and type.
    In general, Lenovo laptops are among the most reliable...
    This is not a good time to buy hard drives, due to the market over-adjusting to the hard drive factories under water in Thailand.
    Batteries, good ones, can be found for $35 to $45
    But you can get a 90 GB SATA hard drive for $90 or less.
    Tell us the hard drive brand and size, the amount of memory installed.
    All in all, we can rebuild a decent Lenovo for $140... and that is a lot less expensive than a new laptop. But a shop would have to charge you $205 or more.
    A cheap laptop might cost you $500 to $600, but a good laptop could cost you $1200 to $1800. For long term reliability, I would want to invest at least $1000 to $1500

Tell us more so we can best advise you.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.