TechSpot

Worth upgrading graphics card?

By Punkid
Dec 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. check my system specs on the right...i have a 9500gt and im looking to go for a gtx 460....i know the cpu will limit performance, but still , what kind of performance gains should i expect switching from 9500gt to gtx 460 ?
  2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I think you might be OK with performance even with a HD6870 or 1GB GTX460. I'll leave others to let you know the difference between your current GPU and the above two though.

What PSU do you have, and what wattage is it?
  3. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 545

i currently have a 350 watt power supply, but im going to get a new PSU along with the new card
  4. Leeky

Yeah, thats a wise decision. Given your system specs i would recommend 550w or above, of good quality from a known manufacturer.

If your thinking longer term (e.g. your next system), I would go higher still. FYI, a 650w PSU could handle twin GPUs upto GTX 460/HD6870, and the latest CPUs as well. 700-750w in my opinion is the sweet spot and would enable you to run virtually any single GPU and computer setup you could care for long term.
  5. Punkid

im going to get a cooler master 500-550W probably.....SLI is a long long LONG way down the road so i m not going to consider that when buying a new power supply
  6. Leeky

Yeah, that would be fine with a HD6870 or 1GB GTX460, but I would recommend 550w for a little extra headroom.
  7. Punkid

i didnt get the answer to my original question though,....will upgrading from 9500gt to gtx 460 give me a good performance boost in games or will my CPU limit gaming performance?
  8. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,551   +97

Hi Punkid,

I recently upgraded from a 8800GTX to an HD5850 card.
    This was with a Quad core Q6600.

Given the 8800GTX is a higher performance card than the 9500GT and not that many games make use of more than 2 cores I think it's safe to say upgrading to a HD6870 or GTX460 will give you quite a big improvement in games, even more than the one I've seen.
  9. Punkid

cool, that was the answer i was looking for, thanks :D
  10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,551   +97

Just note that obviously a more powerful processor would get you better performance out of the new graphics card, but your current graphics card isn't limited by your CPU, so the new one will give you a significant boost. Although this boost might be better graphics quality settings or ability to play at a higher screen resolution rather than just going from 30 FPS in a particular game to 130 FPS :)

For a platform(motherboard, processor + ram) I'm waiting for the Sandy Bridge i7 processor next Q1 year, even though it isn't the high end stuff (socket 2011 quad channel memory) which will come Q3/Q4 2011, it should still be quite a significant performance upgrade over the 3+ year old Q6600 processor I'm using now.
  11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

In addition to Arris's very informative comments at # 8; I'd like to add just one more thing, games which are CPU intensive will see 'less' of a performance boost, whereas, games which are not CPU dependent will get higher performance boost.

Good plans Arris, I am thinking about upgrading my system as well to i7 2600, not that I need it frankly; I guess because I'm bit annoyed with this motherboard which can only take in 4 GB of ram (the original DP35DP died, went back into warranty, died again, and then they made me buy a miniATX board as full ATX for LGA775 were no longer available).

12. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

What resolution will you be using for your new card?
  13. Punkid

1440x900 resolution
  14. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

GTX460 will serve you just right even at higher resolutions then the one you intend to play games at :)
  15. Leeky

You'd want ideally to be aiming for full HD 1920x1080/1200 resolutions if your using the HD6870/1GB GTX460. It will of course run fine at 1440x900 resolutions, but you might be "wasting" the throughput of the GPU when comparing it with the price of cheaper GPUs capable of playing games at the same resolution.
  16. Punkid

i agree with u guys , but i want my GPU to be a little future proof, so if i decide to go to a higher res, itll be up to the task

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.