worthwhile 2 replace fan inside psu?

By Row1
Jul 12, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello-
    the power supply that came in my antec sonata case, smartpower 450watt, had one of the 2 fans start making noise, and i had quirky performance. it is 3 years old.

so i isolated the problem as the 2nd fan (the 1 that is more internal / not seen from outside) in this power supply. i opened the power supply and found out this is just a 80mm fan, but is slimmer than a typical 80mm - it is 15mm, not 25mm. so, for $10, i could replace this fan.

I went to Fry's, and they did not have this narrow fan even though they have all kinds of fans there. But they did have an antec power supply 500watt $40 after rebate.

so, I got my computer up-and-running with the new psu.

So now my question is: if I do a decent job of replacing this fan, is it worth it? Or is the whole power supply about to die? Should I just throw it away?
    -Row1
  2. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

Open up the psu and check the capacitors for bulging/leaking. If the insides look OK, sure, add a new fan and you have a decent spare psu.

:)
  3. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,572   +9

I'd say I'd retire that PSU from normal computer work.

However, I'd still keep it around for testing purposes. Heck, I usually have enough parts lying around to make a whole new computer (albeit a really crap one) for testing purposes. SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, motherboards of all kinds, a few CPUs (outdated).... You name it, I probably got it. Oh yeah, I've got a PSU for this purpose too.

Anyone wanna donate a PCI videocard? Cos thats the only thing I'm missing from my arsenal...
  4. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

CMH is right.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.