TechSpot

Would a 'level of capability' indicator be useful?

By gbhall
Jul 26, 2009
Post New Reply
  1. I have often felt it would be better if I had some idea of the capabilities of those people I try to help. It would enable me to pitch the level of help - the amount of detail if you like - and not suggest things that most people with a certain level of knowledge would automatically know. Not embarassing myself or insulting the person I am helping is the ideal.....

To acheive this, perhaps the login procedure could ask for the users self-assessed level in strictly neutral terms like 'how capable would you rate yourself about computers ? (.) hardly at all (.) not very (.) moderate (.) fairly expert

This rating would then become part of every post header like

posted by gbhall (level 4 user) ...... or similar.

One could edit one's level of capability claimed in the usual areas.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

This could have potential, but just like specs & other details most people won't fill it in. They just want to get their question answered and move on.

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,330   +277

I agree and I agree. Would be nice, but we'd need to force people to fill in that field somehow. I wonder if there is already an existing module for this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.