Would a switch work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beef_jerky4104

I've been trying to run a CS:S Dedicated server off of my RIG for a while, but have been incapable of doing so because of a router I have. I have forwarded the right ports and gone as far to disable the the router's firewall and it's wireless security. No matter what I have done I cannot get this to work. I was wondering if this configuration would work.

Cable/xDSL modem>Switch>Router.

Would the switch block the server as the router? Or would I finally be able to run a CS:S Dedicated server. Also would those using wireless internet on my network still have access to the internet?

Thanks.

I assume you want to connect your computer to the switch?

With DSL you would be able to connect to the internet with either the router or the PC. No simultaneous internet access is possible.

With cable it most likely won't work either unless you have a really stupid cable company.

Have you tried to contact your routers vendor to see what you can do to work around the problem?

Besides that, if its a dedicated router and not the one your using now, you probably wont even need the switch as most routers I've seen have more then one ethernet port. If you need the more ports, a switch will work fine, though youd have to reverse your idea there and connect the cable modem to the router ethernet first, then the extra router ethernet to the switches dedicated 100/1000mgbit port (assuming it has one/working, else any of them should work if you route to it).

Then connect to the computer NIC using any of the ports and route to the spot if there is no dedicated one on the switch. You could also then connect the wireless router to the switch on another port to have WIFI as it should work, though I have not done this myself to be totally sure. Other then that, putting a switch with your current WIFI router wont fix the problem as it will still have to route through. Id ask the vendor first though before getting a new router and switch if there is anything you can do as this could get complicated and pricey. Hope this helps.

Nodsu said:
I assume you want to connect your computer to the switch?

With DSL you would be able to connect to the internet with either the router or the PC. No simultaneous internet access is possible.

With cable it most likely won't work either unless you have a really stupid cable company.

Well that sucks because in two weeks I'll be moving from Road Runner Lite to AT&T Yahoo ADSL Elite.

If you are very good, you can make it work. But not with any standard install discs, and you probably don't want your cable folks or dsl folks to find out. If you read the fine print, you will find usually find that is verboten.

the correct wiring would be
Code:
modem--router--switch--wired.system(s)
and all the config would be in the router, none in the switch

an ADSL router may support wireless, in which case, I would disable it there
and enable ONLY the wireless in the down stream router.

Yeah... Jobeard didn't get that at all. You have to understand that I'm not the all hardware and like know very little about routers and stuff. I'm talking about using the stock ADSL modem and a cheap router that one would buy from a Wal-Mart or Fry's. Would that work. This includes using my PC and dads PC off it. One wired one wireless.

This works just fine ADSL Modem>Router>PC's.

EDIT: I would like to add I forwarded the ports just as before, but with my ADSL modem, and now I can run a server through it. I don't know what the problem was before. Maybe something with the cable modem. No idea at all! But it works now and with my new faster ADSL connection I can host a 12 man server!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back