Would my CPU (4.8GHz) bottleneck HD 6870 CrossFire?

This E8400 is a beast, been taking 1.5v Vcore for over a year, and is simply rock solid.

I have it at a solid 4.8ghz, and this thing is still AMAZINGLY FAST.

All games run like a breeze. All games.

... but yeah, it probably would. As impressive as your overclock is (and it is very impressive), 4.8 GHz does not mean 2 X 2.4GHz because of scaling issues. From what I've read you really need a decently clocked (>3 GHz) quad core to fully utilise modern, higher end graphics cards. Still, if all your games really do run like a breeze, you won't really need a better CPU.

i think he meant 3.8 ghz i dont see anyone running 24/7 4.8ghz on e 8400 also the e 8400 would bottleneck one 6870.

A 3.8Ghz e8400 hundred has the Teraflops to feed pair of 6870's, the issue is that some games now, and more and more in the future are being written as multi threaded and do not run well on less than a quad. witness BC2, LP2, MOH,COD Black ops, etc. the other problem (if he is really running 4.8Ghz) is that for many games , the advantage of higher clock speeds ands at around 3.7 Ghz anyway. (not all,but many)

Here is a couple of examples from some benching that Steve has done here at Techspot.

Recently we tested out the single player mode in Medal of Honor and found it was primarily GPU dependent, showing just a 9% increase in frame rate when going from 2.0GHz to 4.0GHz despite the 100% rise in frequency.

Call of Duty: Black Ops can take advantage of four cores and is undoubtedly optimized for the current crop of chips. In fact, the game relies so heavily on all four cores that we found it almost unplayable (OK, that may be exaggerating a bit) on even the fastest dual-core CPU.

That wasn't a typo.

I'm running @ 4.8ghz, not 3.8ghz.

E8400 @ 4.8ghz (9 x 534 FSB @ 1.55v Vcore). 1.3v NB voltage, 1.28v VTT and GTL_Ref both @ .67x multiplier.

you seem more concerned with impressing everyone one with your alleged Overclock than getting an answer to your supposed question. so if in fact;

I have it at a solid 4.8ghz, and this thing is still AMAZINGLY FAST.

All games run like a breeze. All games.

why are you bothering to post the question about crossfiring if you are running "all games like a breeze" ? seems to me if thats true , you don't need a second 6870...unless you are going for running all games like a stiff gale.:rolleyes:

Maybe there is a reason for the two Ls in paTROLL ;)
Don't think it would be a bottleneck as others have said. Recently found that over 4Ghz on my processor didn't really give any more performance from my cards, although the concerns over dual core vs quad+ core processors is valid for the latest games and future ones.

you seem more concerned with impressing everyone one with your alleged Overclock than getting an answer to your supposed question. so if in fact;

why are you bothering to post the question about crossfiring if you are running "all games like a breeze" ? seems to me if thats true , you don't need a second 6870...unless you are going for running all games like a stiff gale.:rolleyes:

What?

Why don't you bother to read the thread instead of answering blindly?

I'm not bragging about my OC, I was just clearing things up because there was a user who thought that it might have been a typo.

And yes, I run my games fine, but I'm thinking of going with crossfire. What's your problem anyway?

I just asked for an opinion, not your worthless judgement.

Alright - let's get this thread back on track. As far as your proc being a bottleneck I think that will be highly game specific. Only certain games (as previously mentioned) would have issues with only having two cores to work with. I've got an old E8400 sitting on my desk (not assembled) because I'm not really sure what to do with it anymore. I feel like I can't really use it for gaming so I'm considering dropping it in an HTPC. I saw such a big increase in performance going to quads that I'm really spoiled now. On top of that look at the graphs showing the difference on some games just going from an i7 9xx to a Sandy Bridge. There are definite differences you'll be able to see depending on what games you're playing.

What?

I'm not bragging about my OC, I was just clearing things up because there was a user who thought that it might have been a typo.

And yes, I run my games fine, but I'm thinking of going with crossfire. What's your problem anyway?

I just asked for an opinion, not your worthless judgement.

You are kidding right?. I gave and cited very specific and accurate information regarding your question. It was just apparently not the answer you wanted to hear. Igf you are going to ask questions and then simply act on your preconceived answer, then just get three or four 6870's for your amazing e8400 and see how that works out for you.
Let me try this once more...

A 3.8Ghz e8400 hundred has the Teraflops to feed pair of 6870's, the issue is that some games now, and more and more in the future are being written as multi threaded and do not run well on less than a quad. witness BC2, LP2, MOH,COD Black ops, etc. the other problem (if he is really running 4.8Ghz) is that for many games , the advantage of higher clock speeds ands at around 3.7 Ghz anyway. (not all,but many)

Here is a couple of examples from some benching that Steve has done here at Techspot.

Quote:Recently we tested out the single player mode in Medal of Honor and found it was primarily GPU dependent, showing just a 9% increase in frame rate when going from 2.0GHz to 4.0GHz despite the 100% rise in frequency.

Quote:Call of Duty: Black Ops can take advantage of four cores and is undoubtedly optimized for the current crop of chips. In fact, the game relies so heavily on all four cores that we found it almost unplayable (OK, that may be exaggerating a bit) on even the fastest dual-core CPU.

HUH? nice try.
I specifically, and pointedly read and responded to your supposed question in detail.....why don't you read first.

red1776, even I read your information and found it useful. Thanks for helping out in my other posts. I hate when people ask for help and arent appreciative... even if you want to brag, you can still be respectful to those who help you.

I learned a new term "teraflops" I swear.. you just make that up... I'll have 3 Yottaflops in a jiffy, k thanks. lol jk

Edit: So a yottaflop is a real thing... whether or not there is anything can can run that fast in this date of time or not. Hahaha. This thread provided me with some funny education today. :)

Hey that's what I was thinking!

4.8 GHz does not mean 2 X 2.4GHz
No it doesn't, it means 2 x 4.8ghz.

Back