TechSpot

Would this computer work?

By Maciuska
Jun 17, 2009
  1. Hello, my motherboards have been pretty weird this year, since i got the
    HD 4870, 3 motherboards died. So I am thinking about building a new pc,
    and I have found few goods parts for it.

Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor, i7-920, 2.66 GHz, 8 MB, LGA1366 CPU, Retail
    Motherboard: Gigabyte, GA-EX58-UD3R, Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
    RAM: STT D3-1333, 2 GB/128Mx8 Samsung Chip Memory
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower W0104 650W w/14cm Fan Power Supply
    Hard Drive: Seagate, ST3500418AS, 500 GB, SATA2, 7200 rpm, 32 MB Hard Drive

A new case: KÖNIG MICRO ATX CASE WITH LCD TOUCH SCREEN, model CMP-COMPCASE20

And a addational fan: KÖNIG 120 MM COMPUTER FAN WITH TEMP INDICATION, model CMP-FAN50TEXT

So will those parts work together? And I think that the graphic card is good enough

Radeon PowerColour 4870HD 512MB.

I know that I have pretty low ram 2GB, but else I am out of my money and I am thinking about a guitar too.

Do you recommend something else for about the same price? This is mainly a computer for gaming. Also, does the hard drive help in gaming? Thanks.

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

That is a nice build, but IMO you should go for a cheaper CPU and mobo, and get a more powerful video card like the GTX 275 or HD 4870X2 instead. Or get another HD 4870 with a 790X-based Crossfire mobo and the Phenom II X4 920 or the Phenom II X3 720BE. You will get a much larger boost in performance compared to the i7 system.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.