Would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDDOG2122

If i put my new comps hard drive in my old comp and then installed xp on the new hard drive and put it back in the new computer? Because when i try putting the old hard drive in my new comp it restarts at the windows loading screen so would it do the same thing?

i'm not sure, i understand what you're doing.
you have computer a and b.
a is new
b is old
both have hdd
then what?

okkk... i cant seem to install xp on the new comp(1).. so i want to kno if i was to take the hard drive from comp(1) and put it in comp (2) and install xp then put it back in (1)

that won't work. because all hardware are registered with windows xp. you can install xp on both of them, which is illegal. and you will have a hard time activating and explaining.

why do you want to install xp on one hdd and put it in the other pc? why don't you just install the xp on the pc and hdd, where it's at?

Only if they are using the same chipsets on the motherboard. I think.

Also, if nobody else replies and you are just itching to try. Try this, install on comp 1, then when you get to windows on comp 1, go to device manager, and uninstall every piece of hardware you can think of, everything including the processor, sata controllers if necessary, just everything you can possibly uninstall do.

Then shut down, and put the hd in comp 2. Cross your fingers and press the power button :)

haha .. if i doesnt work is the hard drive done for? i have the drivers for the new comp but i probably cant install them without them being in this comp.. well ****.. i'm sooo stumped.. my windows xp cd is a dud for booting it and nothing else works... this sucks

No, its not going to mess up the hard drive any. Windows should/might boot up, and recognise the new hardware, then it will ask for the drivers, which you may be able to get the generic ones off the windows install disk if it doesn't already recognise some (it may have some chipset drivers that never are truely gone even if uninstalled, like USB and drives). For the other drivers, download them on the working computer and burn them to CD to transfer to the half working comp.

yea it didnt work... it just said remove media from disk or somethin like that and then restarts?..... i never knew installing this was so harrrd!

SNGX1275 said:
Then shut down, and put the hd in comp 2. Cross your fingers and press the power button :)
sorry, sng. but this wouldn't work. even if the chipsets are the same. the volume serial number, nic/mac (network interface card - media access control address), cpu id, and about 8 other things will keep xp registry from booting up. all the information about hardware are stored in wpa.dbl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back