TechSpot

Would you leave your SATA drive in IDE mode?

By Dominik
Jan 24, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I’m doing a clean install of Windows XP, Media Center Edition 2005, SP3. The question is, what (if there are any) are the consequences of leaving your SATA drive in IDE mode? Would you do it? Are there any drawbacks? What is the best option for a SATA drive, IDE or AHCI? And why? If left in IDE mode, will performance suffer/will I only be using a portion of my systems potential?

The three options to choose from in my BIOS are:
    1.) 4P(IDE)+2S(IDE)
    2.) 4P(IDE)+2S(RAID)
    3.) 4P(IDE)+2S(AHCI)

HDD I’m using: Samsung Serial ATA, 500GB/7200rpm/16M, Model: HD501LJ

Thanks! Looking forward to your replies!

Dominik

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Well this gets a little tricky, because even though your Harddrive is Sata, your DVD Drive can still be ATA (or IDE connection)

If you do not have any IDE connected devices, then just disable IDE (if there is an option to do so)
    But normally there will be no ill affect either way, enabled or not. (in system performance)

Now, in saying that, there has been many reported issues with certain configurations relating to Harddrives in system setup (or CMOS or BIOS setup)
    Where the computer will not work properly, or that Windows and plug and play devices have been affected (ie they don't work, or cause blue screens errors)

It would be best to refer to your Motherboard manual on what settings to choose, if it's any consolation, I usually run "Setup Defaults" then go from there (ie disabling not-required areas in CMOS setup).

3. Dominik

Dominik TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Hey kimsland! Thanks for responding!

Maybe the 4P(IDE)+2S(AHCI) setting would allow you to use both a SATA hard drive in conjunction with an IDE DVD drive without any problems. I'm not sure, but what else could the "4P(IDE)+2S(AHCI)" mean?

I don't have the option to disable IDE (I don't think). I will double-check though.

I've read through most of my motherboards user manual and it talks about settings in there that I simply don't see in my BIOS. It's translated into English rather poorly, so that may have something to do with it.

4. kimsland

I'd probably go:
    4P(IDE)+2S(IDE)

But I don't like Sata running in IDE mode

5. Dominik

How come?

6. kimsland

Sata should be in Sata, and IDE off, or disabled on the Harddrive
    It's just one motherboard driver, that's not required

7. Dominik

True dat!

I'm not sure what you mean. If you don't like Sata running in IDE mode, then why go with the 4P(IDE)+2S(IDE) setting?

8. kimsland

Doh! make that

9. Dominik

That makes more sense, :)!

Ok, so I double checked whether or not I can disable IDE in my BIOS, and there's no "Disable" option there. So I figure the only way to disable it is to simply switch it to either "4P(IDE)+2S(RAID)" or "4P(IDE)+2S(AHCI)" as you can only have one of the three selected at any given time..

10. kimsland

Raid requires 2 or more Harddrives, and needs to be setup in Raid# Number like Raid0

11. Dominik

RAIDing the kitchen!

You can have 2 SATA drives without setting up RAID though, right?

12. kimsland

That's right

13. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

14. Dominik

Great article! Short and sweet. Looks like AHCI is the way to go when it comes to SATA! Otherwise it would seem that you'd just be shortchanging yourself.

Does this look right to you guys (see link)? This is what my Standard CMOS Features Menu looks like when I have my drive set to IDE mode.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=75594228&albumID=2645700&imageID=42626219

Or just browse over to my "picture uploads", it's in there too, it's the one entitled "Standard CMOS Features Menu".

15. kimsland

ooo A myspace link, I don't click on those
    You can attach the pic to a new reply attachment if you like
    Or use the normal free servers too.

16. Dominik

Just out of curiosity, how come you wouldn't click on a myspace link? Btw, its only a link to pictures/screenshots of my BIOS settings on my personal profile.

17. kimsland

It has the ability of checking users IP, and also howmany users have viewed it, and where from

18. Dominik

:) Is that bad?

19. kimsland

20. Dominik

It's OK, I like jokes of all ages! :)

In reference to the photo, I just uploaded it to my "picture uploads" here on TechSpot, it's the "Standard CMOS Features Menu" one.

Microsoft collecting secret files, interesting stuff.....

21. kimsland

This is the tech forum, as stated earlier, just attach here
    Oh and read above (I edited my last post), it would be interesting to get a younger person's point of view

22. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,552   +301

I believe NCQ is not able to be used if the SATA drive is running as IDE.

23. Dominik

I just wanted to thank you for the feedback SNGX1275! That's good to know. It looks like AHCI and SATA are meant to be...........together that is!

How would one go about attaching a photo to a post? I am bewildered.......

Never mind, I think I got it. The trick is to go into the advanced reply section, from which you can attach photos.

Here's the question once again. Do the settings look correct in this screenshot? Btw, this is what my Standard CMOS Features Menu looks like when I have it set to 4P(IDE)+2S(IDE) mode.

24. kimsland

Yes that screen looks right :grinthumb

25. Dominik

Thanks kimsland, glad to hear it! Btw, are you a site moderator or something like that?

Point taken about merging posts.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.