Would you leave your SATA drive in IDE mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominik

I’m doing a clean install of Windows XP, Media Center Edition 2005, SP3. The question is, what (if there are any) are the consequences of leaving your SATA drive in IDE mode? Would you do it? Are there any drawbacks? What is the best option for a SATA drive, IDE or AHCI? And why? If left in IDE mode, will performance suffer/will I only be using a portion of my systems potential?

The three options to choose from in my BIOS are:
1.) 4P(IDE)+2S(IDE)
2.) 4P(IDE)+2S(RAID)
3.) 4P(IDE)+2S(AHCI)

HDD I’m using: Samsung Serial ATA, 500GB/7200rpm/16M, Model: HD501LJ

Thanks! Looking forward to your replies!

Dominik

Well this gets a little tricky, because even though your Harddrive is Sata, your DVD Drive can still be ATA (or IDE connection)

If you do not have any IDE connected devices, then just disable IDE (if there is an option to do so)
But normally there will be no ill affect either way, enabled or not. (in system performance)

Now, in saying that, there has been many reported issues with certain configurations relating to Harddrives in system setup (or CMOS or BIOS setup)
Where the computer will not work properly, or that Windows and plug and play devices have been affected (ie they don't work, or cause blue screens errors)

It would be best to refer to your Motherboard manual on what settings to choose, if it's any consolation, I usually run "Setup Defaults" then go from there (ie disabling not-required areas in CMOS setup).

Hey kimsland! Thanks for responding!

Well this gets a little tricky, because even though your Harddrive is Sata, your DVD Drive can still be ATA (or IDE connection)

Maybe the 4P(IDE)+2S(AHCI) setting would allow you to use both a SATA hard drive in conjunction with an IDE DVD drive without any problems. I'm not sure, but what else could the "4P(IDE)+2S(AHCI)" mean?

If you do not have any IDE connected devices, then just disable IDE (if there is an option to do so)
But normally there will be no ill affect either way, enabled or not. (in system performance)

I don't have the option to disable IDE (I don't think). I will double-check though.

It would be best to refer to your Motherboard manual on what settings to choose, if it's any consolation, I usually run "Setup Defaults" then go from there (ie disabling not-required areas in CMOS setup).

I've read through most of my motherboards user manual and it talks about settings in there that I simply don't see in my BIOS. It's translated into English rather poorly, so that may have something to do with it.

Sata should be in Sata, and IDE off, or disabled on the Harddrive
It's just one motherboard driver, that's not required

That makes more sense, :)!

Ok, so I double checked whether or not I can disable IDE in my BIOS, and there's no "Disable" option there. So I figure the only way to disable it is to simply switch it to either "4P(IDE)+2S(RAID)" or "4P(IDE)+2S(AHCI)" as you can only have one of the three selected at any given time..

One of the better (early) articles about AHCI Mode.

http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=316

Great article! Short and sweet. Looks like AHCI is the way to go when it comes to SATA! Otherwise it would seem that you'd just be shortchanging yourself.

Does this look right to you guys (see link)? This is what my Standard CMOS Features Menu looks like when I have my drive set to IDE mode.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=75594228&albumID=2645700&imageID=42626219

Or just browse over to my "picture uploads", it's in there too, it's the one entitled "Standard CMOS Features Menu".

ooo A myspace link, I don't click on those
You can attach the pic to a new reply attachment if you like
Or use the normal free servers too.

Just out of curiosity, how come you wouldn't click on a myspace link? Btw, its only a link to pictures/screenshots of my BIOS settings on my personal profile.

It's OK, I like jokes of all ages! :)

In reference to the photo, I just uploaded it to my "picture uploads" here on TechSpot, it's the "Standard CMOS Features Menu" one.

Microsoft collecting secret files, interesting stuff.....

This is the tech forum, as stated earlier, just attach here
Oh and read above (I edited my last post), it would be interesting to get a younger person's point of view

I believe NCQ is not able to be used if the SATA drive is running as IDE.

I just wanted to thank you for the feedback SNGX1275! That's good to know. It looks like AHCI and SATA are meant to be...........together that is!

This is the tech forum, as stated earlier, just attach here

How would one go about attaching a photo to a post? I am bewildered.......

Never mind, I think I got it. The trick is to go into the advanced reply section, from which you can attach photos.

Here's the question once again. Do the settings look correct in this screenshot? Btw, this is what my Standard CMOS Features Menu looks like when I have it set to 4P(IDE)+2S(IDE) mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back