Would you still consider buying the Galaxy Note 7?

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung's Galaxy Note 7s are an explosive issue for the company right now. With batteries self-combusting left, right and center, the smartphone's launch has become a total disaster, despite overwhelmingly positive reviews about the handset's actual features.

With a recall underway, and Samsung set to have replacement devices next week, the Note 7 is set to return to retail shelves. However, it will be interesting to see if it sells in any significant quantities when that happens, considering users could still face difficulties using the phones on airplanes and in other places, even with fixed batteries.

Would you consider purchasing a Galaxy Note 7 after Samsung puts the phone back on sale?

Are the issues with exploding batteries a significant deterrent even with a completely fixed battery inside? Or would you only consider buying a Note 7 on a significant discount? Let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, and I'd just put in one of the China batteries that don't explode since it's the Korean ones that blow up.

Last edited:
I've owned one since day one. I love it. I have zero issues with it. I don't care about the recall. I'll trade mine in just because they are willing to give me a new one. But I'm certainly not switching to another phone.

This type of issue isn't new and a little research of the Google machine shows over the last few years the major smart phone manufacturers including LG, HTC and Apple have had incidents where the batteries in their phones have caught fire or exploded due to failure. I do think Samsung is handling it much better than any of the above mentioned companies and I would gladly buy a Note 7 once things are sorted out. Until they find a safer alternative that is as cost effective as Li Ion, the reality is that these incidents (although not very often) will continue to happen.

Nope. I like and use Samsung phones but the Note series never has and never will be for me. The non Edge S series is more my speed.

The 10 days I spent with it, I think that the note 7 is the best device and will remain so for the next few years!! I am waiting for my replacement to arrive!! There is no way I'm going to Go with another device because of this!!

And yes , Samsung has handled this issue very very well.

When it's time to upgrade my GN4 it'll definitely be the GN7. I usually wait a few months to see if a new phone will have issues and I'm glad I did.

A resounding YES!

I've been looking forward to this phone to upgrade from my Note 4. This little hiccup is nothing, they will fix it quick. It's just the press and the competition are trying to blow it out of proportion, as usual. The issue will be quickly forgotten shortly after the fix.

And it would take local providers (in Ireland) long enough anyway to let the fix happen first.

Last edited:
I love mine... I haven't powered it down... haven't had a problem and love it as much as my Note 4 if not more... I charge it in a fire proof dish... lol... just in case... I will exchange with the replacement but do not want a different phone or my money back... I am on love with it and feel dorry for Samsung having to cope with such a huge glitch... but onward and upward and I can't see myself ever wanting anything otger than The Galaxy Note...

The 10 days I spent with it, I think that the note 7 is the best device and will remain so for the next few years!! I am waiting for my replacement to arrive!! There is no way I'm going to Go with another device because of this!!

And yes , Samsung has handled this issue very very well.
it's gonna get overshadowed in a year like every time.

The Galaxy Note 7 was never really on my radar to be honest. I had a Note 2 and loved it from a pure hardware perspective, but Samsung lost me because of their inability to keep Android updated. Heck, the Note 7 hasn't even been launched in my country (the recall happened just a couple of days before it was supposed to launch) and they, to the best of my knowledge, never officially launched the Note 5 in my country. Meanwhile, I'm still getting some good use out of my iPad 4, now running iOS 10, which I got a month before my Note 2. Basically, Samsung didn't make me feel like a valued customer.

But to answer the question, yes - I think it would have affected my decision to get the Note 7 if I was in the market for a new flagship Android phone and it certainly doesn't make me regret ditching Samsung.

The Galaxy Note 7 was never really on my radar to be honest. I had a Note 2 and loved it from a pure hardware perspective, but Samsung lost me because of their inability to keep Android updated. Heck, the Note 7 hasn't even been launched in my country (the recall happened just a couple of days before it was supposed to launch) and they, to the best of my knowledge, never officially launched the Note 5 in my country. Meanwhile, I'm still getting some good use out of my iPad 4, now running iOS 10, which I got a month before my Note 2. Basically, Samsung didn't make me feel like a valued customer.

But to answer the question, yes - I think it would have affected my decision to get the Note 7 if I was in the market for a new flagship Android phone and it certainly doesn't make me regret ditching Samsung.

Don't put to much into having the latest update right away. Stock Android is way behind anyway when it comes to having the latest features. If anything Samsung should be the true representation of Android.

If I was Jihadi John I'd be stocking up on these bad boys, hen'ce why im investing in Samsung stock right now..

I'd still buy one but not at full retail price just because of the extra scrutiny the Note 7 would receive.

For me its no, I had returned it and got a refund instead of exchange for the recall. Iphone 6 Plus is still chugging along nicely and couldn't justify to myself the upgrade.

Don't put to much into having the latest update right away. Stock Android is way behind anyway when it comes to having the latest features. If anything Samsung should be the true representation of Android.

Heh... my Note 2 is forever stuck with Kitkat and that took Samsung 6 months to release if I remember correctly. That's not insignificant in my world. I mean, we're talking premium phones at a premium price. The iPhone 7+ isn't that much more expensive than the Note 7 in my country, but I'm pretty sure it'll be supported for years. I do not have faith in Samsung doing the same with the Note 7, but I certainly won't cry if Samsung proves me wrong on that. I do value things like that and it's something I'm willing to pay that little extra for, assuming everything else adds up compared to the competition. Other people may view things differently and have different values that put the Note 7 or Samsung in general ahead of the competition. I'm totally okay with that and understand that.

Think I'm going to replace my LG Optimus G with the upcoming LG V20. I considered a Galaxy S7 but the camera and audio has me sold to the V20.

Back