WoW framerate problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpackalex

Hey all, I've been having framerate issues while playing Warcraft ever since I stared raiding, and I've been constantly searching for an answer but I have ran out of ideas. I'm getting around 4-5 FPS during busy times, if I'm lucky. I've tweaked just about every video option imaginable, shut down all programs I know about running in the background, and ran multiple spyware/virus scans. The one remaining thing I can think of is a problem with my sound card, since it is onboard. But, I've disabled sounds in WoW and there is little to no change.

Windows XP
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
2.0 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Thanks in advance.

Edit- thought I should add the original tower is an HP Pavilion 524w (a good 4 years old or so). Not the best in the world, so maybe there is a problem with the motherboard?

I played WoW for awhile and had similar problems. To turn off all other programs do you run msconfig through run to do it? Sometimes weird stuff is there you don't even realize.

i belive it is just blizzard messing with us. the game used to run fine, but now a year later wiht all these updates it seems to be more sluggish.

Internet connection has nothing to do with framerate. And its not wow messing with us. i play at 60fps with 150 latency in SSC.

That card is DX 10 compatible, are your drivers compatible with wow's DX9? have you run a defrag on the disc? I run a Geforce 7600GT which is pretty comparable. The 500w PSU should be ok for the card and single processor.

Are you running addons? they may be a hinderance, but youd need a lot of em running.

VGDictator said:
What kind of Internet connection? Just curious. =3

I'm on a university lan, usually around 150 ms latency or so.

Eddie_42 said:
Internet connection has nothing to do with framerate. And its not wow messing with us. i play at 60fps with 150 latency in SSC.

That card is DX 10 compatible, are your drivers compatible with wow's DX9? have you run a defrag on the disc? I run a Geforce 7600GT which is pretty comparable. The 500w PSU should be ok for the card and single processor.

Are you running addons? they may be a hinderance, but youd need a lot of em running.

I'm not sure about the driver, how would I check? Although, I've tested about 5 or 6 different drivers and all have been about the same. I have defraged the disk as well. And currently I'm running a ton of addons, but I have disabled every one of them to make sure they weren't bogging my system down and there was little to no change.

I've been looking into it a bit more and I'm beginning to think more and more there is a CPU problem. When I mess with the video sliders, there are some options that I can put way up and not see any change in framerate, like resolution, texture quality, really anything that you would think would be related to the video card performance. But when I change things like terrain distance or ground clutter density, it just gets worse and worse. Hope this helps any.

Thanks for the ideas.

Are you sure you have the best video card driver? ATI really screwed its customers a ways back who still own AGP based video solutions like your 2600 Pro. AGP support is only updated in every third of fourth driver update. I think that last statement is true. I don't have any more ATI AGP cards, so I haven't been paying close attention to the problem.

Try one of these drivers instead.

Cinders said:
Are you sure you have the best video card driver? ATI really screwed its customers a ways back who still own AGP based video solutions like your 2600 Pro. AGP support is only updated in every third of fourth driver update. I think that last statement is true. I don't have any more ATI AGP cards so I haven't been paying close attention to the problem.

Yeah, I've really had a problem with their AGP support. I've done some searching and it seems that a few companies like Sapphire have the updated drivers available for AGP cards as well, so I'm just using those. I think my driver was released three days ago so it better be updated :).

Like I said, I've gone through 5 or 6 different driver versions with minimal change. So, although there may be a problem with the driver, I don't think its very likely.

I've got another question, how important could a BIOS update be? I've pretty much exhausted all other options so I've been looking around a bit on that topic... got the .bin file but just need to figure out how to 'flash' it. But, I don't want to be going through this trouble if all its going to give me is false hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back