WoW subscribers get Diablo III free, Collector's Edition unveiled

By Shawn Knight
Oct 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Blizzard’s Mike Morhaime revealed Diablo III’s box art and the contents of the Collector’s Edition during his keynote at BlizzCon 2011. Morhaime also announced that the game will be freeā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. Tanstar

Tanstar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 196   +18

This would've been more useful news before October 18th. Just saying.
  3. lalaman

lalaman Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

^ lol agreed....kinda too late now LOL
  4. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 575   +31

Not really. as the article states "The 12-month WoW subscription is more of a formality than anything as Blizzard simply wants to lock users into a contract to keep playing the game". It's for existing players not new ones. I would imagine that existing players would have been given plenty of notice to get in on the deal.
  5. demonlord721

demonlord721 TechSpot Member Posts: 20

I'm not really surprised as the graphics and cinematics are WoW original quality (not a good thing) I almost cried when I saw the trailer and they were WoW cartoons. They went from the industries finest cinematics to the worst.
  6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

Blizzcon's first day was great! I locked into the 12 month sub when they announced it this afternoon.
  7. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

I'm ready to cancel my pre-order to Diablo III only when i'll see where online i can & would pre-order this version instead !

cheers!
  8. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,658   +57

I couldn't agree with you more demon, I remember thinking diablo 2 looked to cartoony, then I saw wow and I was like woah I guess they lost there balls. Sc2 graphics are not the least bit impressive, d3 looks pretty weak graphics wise as well. Sc2 also doesn't really bring anything new to the table. What happened to blizzard leaping ahead and setting standards in pc gaming.

So this article is saying if u had a year subscription on oct 18th u get d3 free?

Btw Iv spent more time playing blizzard games then every other pc gaming company combined. If they drop the ball on d3 im done with them.
  9. Hmmm kinda small pickings for a Collector's Edition no free piece of armour or special spell
    but then again this day and age of the last of the PC games I guess there is not a lot of choices

still slim pickings
  10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,049   +699

I think this is a very cool promotion. It's the only one I can think of that favors existing customers. Everything from Directv to the monthly parking lot I walked past on the way into work gives cheap intro rates to new customers, but has no problem raising the rates and excluding customers who've been loyal for years.

Kudos to Blizz for throwing a bone to the ones who play today. (or maybe they're losing subscriptions faster than they're getting new ones and want to stop that trend?)
  11. yea would have liked to know about this before i locked in to the annual pass but then again d3 is free w/ MoP beta key alone with cool mount isnt so bad but if i had known about the collectors edition earlyer i wouldnt have gotten this anyway >< damn blizz and there marketing strats

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.