WPS Viewer issues

I was wondering if anyone could help me i have hundreds of word processing documents i dont have acess to sigh. So i bought a new computer and it didn't come with microsoft wps and so i went to microsoft website to download a free wps viewer it didnt work its all encoded i first tried to open those word processing documents with an alternative program maybe why the viewer isnt working im not sure. So now i have no acess to hundreds of documents that i need anyone tell me how to view those documents without buying microsoft programs?
(im using windows windows 7 home premium)
ps i downloaded openoffice.org but it doesnt seem to beable to read microsofts files wasnt overly surprised by this though

Trying to open .doc files

Hi. It's likely that you saved your old MS Word files in .doc format, it is the most common form. If so, Open Office works well with .doc files.
If you want to try a different program to open and save .doc files, have a look at this review, and note they mention that it is very compatible with MS Word files.

http://download.cnet.com/AbiWord/3000-2079_4-10030042.html

It is also only 7MB to download, (and free ) rather than 600MB for MS office !
But note it is 'only' a word processor, no spreadsheet etc.
It does work with Windows 7, I have it installed currently, and also use it as a portable WP, from a flash drive.
* When you want to save files using Abiword, 'save as' .... then click the drop arrow to select '.doc' type of file.

Back