Wrong AC Adapter

hughva

I posted this on another forum, and I'm hoping to get your opinion before dealing with this problem:

Wrong AC adapter
I got a call about ten days ago;"My laptop quit working while it was plugged in."
She brought the machine to me, and I agreed it wasn't working and we agreed on a price to remove the HD and copy the files and handle the warranty return to ASUS and what ever software requirements were necessary when it was returned.
I called ASUS, who had me test the adapter for power output (Yes) and I then boxed it up and mailed it to ASUS. As I recall, the adapter was labeled for 19.2 V, 65 W, which seemed about right for a laptop.
She called me a day or so later, saying she may have given me the wrong adapter, as she'd found one labeled "ASUS".
In the meantime. ASUS has replaced the motherboard and the adapter and is returning the machine.
Now, no one has ever supplied me the wrong adapter for their equipment before, and this adapter fit the socket perfectly, so I'm wondering if this is something I should have caught. She's being unpleasant about paying anything other than the shipping even though she admits it was her fault for supplying the wrong adapter.
For all I know, the use of the wrong adapter may have fried the motherboard, and ASUS isn't saying anything about a wrong adapter being sent.
So, would you have caught this discrepancy? Has any one ever supplied you the wrong adapter with a laptop or other equipment?

Like you I have clients who bring broken equipment into the wksps for repair - and like you I get the clients who through stupidity or genuine error bring the solution to the problem with them!
Laptop PSU's vary enormously and I have always said that cheap replacement PSUs are a mistake - rarely do they shove out the required watts/volts/amps and more often than not do not overheat as well.
I suggest that what has happened here is that the client has lost the PSU, gone and bought a new one which broke the power management board in the laptop, brought it all to you and then found the original PSU.
Asus UK would not have repaired this - but then they are not a credit to Asus, who do make good kit!

You may be right I looked up the specs on this adapter and it's exactly what she gave me:19v, 65 w.

That means it is about 3.4 Amps which is a bit low - usually the output depending on the laptop is about 4..75 Amps. I have a netbook charge here which is the smallest I have seen which is 1.6 Amps or 30 watts which would not be enough for a "standard" laptop and might wreck both of them if used.

ASUS seems to be replacing the mobo and the adapter, so I feel as though I did my job correctly.
Thanks.

Back