Wrong chipset or mobo causing WoW to crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have a fairly old machine.

Ive been playing WoW with this computer for well over a year now and before that I never had any kind of crash of any sort. Im in no way computer savy but have a slight idea of what I may be doing. Ive been receiving WoW errors for the past month. In the middle of July my mobo stopped working, so I had to buy a new one. I got the same one so I didnt have to replace what wasnt compatible.

When the new mobo arrives I do a little bit or research why It doesnt connect to the internet. I find that it requires a Networking card, I dl that and the chipset to allow USB ports to function. Now that I could connect to the internet I load up WoW. About 30 mins go by and I get an error. "Oh well" I thought, "It happens." a while later, same thing happens. I check out the forums and read up how to correct the errors. A few days go by after I install a few things and updating as well. I load up WoW assured that the problems are clear. Everything works fine for a few hours before I get an error again. Still crashing and frustrated I email a blizzard tech. He gave me a list of things to update, reinstall, and a few computer scans. I do them all and everything checks out fine. Having done everything suggested I load up WoW. Its still crashing.

To this day Im thinking it could be something I installed that isnt compatible and is causing the problems. Or it could possible be the mobo that I got. Here is what I have.
Taken from a Dxdiag file.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: D865GBF_
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/04/05 00:31:45 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 638MB RAM
Page File: 853MB used, 899MB available
Windows Dir: D:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

ATI Radeon 9600 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4150)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_00021002&REV_00
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6925 (English)

Any and all help will be taken with the most appreciation. Now, is it possible that these could be my problem?

Even though the motherboards appear to be identical, they perhaps are not.
You may have to do a clean install of your hard drive, and supplmentary drivers before you can bring that computer system to earth.

Even though the motherboards appear to be identical, they perhaps are not.
You may have to do a clean install of your hard drive, and supplmentary drivers before you can bring that computer system to earth.

Yea I see what your saying. Looking at both of them closely I can see a few things are different. I took out the RAM just now to clean them with an eraser and found a few black spots on the connectors (the gold pins) Could that be damage to the RAM?

What the these 'supplmentary drivers' you speak of and where could I get them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back