TechSpot

Wrong chipset or mobo causing WoW to crash?

By Joe12
Jul 20, 2009
  1. Well I have a fairly old machine.

Ive been playing WoW with this computer for well over a year now and before that I never had any kind of crash of any sort. Im in no way computer savy but have a slight idea of what I may be doing. Ive been receiving WoW errors for the past month. In the middle of July my mobo stopped working, so I had to buy a new one. I got the same one so I didnt have to replace what wasnt compatible.

When the new mobo arrives I do a little bit or research why It doesnt connect to the internet. I find that it requires a Networking card, I dl that and the chipset to allow USB ports to function. Now that I could connect to the internet I load up WoW. About 30 mins go by and I get an error. "Oh well" I thought, "It happens." a while later, same thing happens. I check out the forums and read up how to correct the errors. A few days go by after I install a few things and updating as well. I load up WoW assured that the problems are clear. Everything works fine for a few hours before I get an error again. Still crashing and frustrated I email a blizzard tech. He gave me a list of things to update, reinstall, and a few computer scans. I do them all and everything checks out fine. Having done everything suggested I load up WoW. Its still crashing.

To this day Im thinking it could be something I installed that isnt compatible and is causing the problems. Or it could possible be the mobo that I got. Here is what I have.
    Taken from a Dxdiag file.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: INTEL_
    System Model: D865GBF_
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/04/05 00:31:45 Ver: 08.00.10
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 638MB RAM
    Page File: 853MB used, 899MB available
    Windows Dir: D:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

ATI Radeon 9600 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4150)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_00021002&REV_00
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6925 (English)

Any and all help will be taken with the most appreciation. Now, is it possible that these could be my problem?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Even though the motherboards appear to be identical, they perhaps are not.
    You may have to do a clean install of your hard drive, and supplmentary drivers before you can bring that computer system to earth.

3. Joe12

Joe12 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yea I see what your saying. Looking at both of them closely I can see a few things are different. I took out the RAM just now to clean them with an eraser and found a few black spots on the connectors (the gold pins) Could that be damage to the RAM?

What the these 'supplmentary drivers' you speak of and where could I get them?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.