TechSpot

Wrong refresh rate?

By red1776
Dec 18, 2008
  1. Hi gang,
    Im having a problem with the 1280 x 1024 resolution on my monitor. any other resolution works fine. when i change it to 1280 x 1024 I get wavy flickering semi round lines on either side of the screen (kind of looks like a faint contour map). my first instinct was that the refresh rate was wrong so i set it high and low and no luck. its currently at the supported speed of 75Mhz. again it works fine at any other resolution, and is a supported res.

Any ideas?

Samsung SyncMaster 955DF
    ATI HD 3650 1gb

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Topic Starter Posts: 5,218   +157

opps,
    yeah thats a critical piece of info. I am using the monitor driver, latest one.

4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

I have never used an ATI card so I'll bow out here after saying that you should ensure the GPU is talking nicely to the LCD, ie, refresh rates etc.

I imagine ATI has a settings panel like nVidia where these things are displayed/controlled.

5. adweston

adweston Banned Posts: 242

Jeez, that's an old monitor.. What you'll probably find is that in reasonably short order other resolutions will start screwing up too. I found that with an old 21" Hitachi I used to have a long time ago. One resolution went, then others. Finally it died altogether.

6. pyromaster114

pyromaster114 TS Guru Posts: 246

If it's an old monitor, it might just be screwing up at that resolution... don't ask me why but I had a monitor that worked great for a while, and then started to do something like this.
    I got rid of it cause it heated up my room too much anyways and bought a nice LCD... no more problem lol.
    (I also have a 100 pound paper weight in my closet lol)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.