X2 3800+ - at 2.6GHz and up on stock voltages (stable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

X2 3800+ @ 2604MHz @ 1.425v - Good OC?

Welp, here's my overclocked AM2 Athlon64 X2 3800+ (Windsor, 90w):
2604ot4.png

What do you think, good [first] OC?

It's also Orthos stable, and dual Prime95 stable (running 2 instances at once).

Just 1 question. Is the voltage a bit too high? Stock was 1.3V, so is 1.425V a bit high? If I lower it it's not Prime95 stable, but now it is.

I've tried to push it to 2.7GHz, but then even at 1.6V it's not Orthos stable. Mem wasn't limiting me as I set it's divider at DDR400, which left it at like 70% its normal speed. Anything I might be missing? Temps at definately not it.

What do you think, good [first] OC?
yes
Just 1 question. Is the voltage a bit too high? Stock was 1.3V, so is 1.425V a bit high? If I lower it it's not Prime95 stable, but now it is.
you adjusted your voltage properly...when increasing voltage you have to keep an eye on your CPU temp. what are your temps at, under full load with the OC'd settings shown here?

once you have established the limit of the FSB and memory, you can then experiment with the multiplier. it does not absolutely have to be done this way, but this method usually proves to be the fastest, easiest, and least problematic in the long run. have you already attempted a higher multiplier setting?

zephead said:
yesyou adjusted your voltage properly...when increasing voltage you have to keep an eye on your CPU temp. what are your temps at, under full load with the OC'd settings shown here?

once you have established the limit of the FSB and memory, you can then experiment with the multiplier. it does not absolutely have to be done this way, but this method usually proves to be the fastest, easiest, and least problematic in the long run. have you already attempted a higher multiplier setting?
When dual prime95 it tops out at 53C. When single, it tops out at ~49C. When gaming it tops out at ~44C. When dealing with multiple "normal" tasks I top out at 31C ;) (media player, monitoring program, multiple firefox windows, explorer windows all over the place, virus scanning, etc.).

Up to 2721MHz now @1.475V. Stable as heck, tested both dual prime95 and dual stress testing with "Gromac's Core" (and baby, did "Gromac's Core" really stress test - temps were 2-3C higher than prime95's).

MAX load (dual Gromac's Core stress testing) - 57C
load (gaming, single prime95) - 51C
idle (or normal usage, web surfing, virus scanning etc.) - 31C

Given that my AS5 has not even cured yet, I'm looking at temps ~53C for FULL stress (that normally isn't achieved with normal tasks like games).

What do you think :)?
2000MHz AM2 Athlon64 X2 3800+ ---> 2721MHz AM2 Athlon64 X2 3800+
This is Athlon FX-62 territory, without the 1MB cache!

Nice OC. You're luckier than me... my CPU's stock voltage is 1.4 and it needs 1.5125 just to get to 2.4GHz. :(

MetalX said:
Nice OC. You're luckier than me... my CPU's stock voltage is 1.4 and it needs 1.5125 just to get to 2.4GHz. :(
Thanks. I guess you just got a bad overclocker :(...

I actually got to 2.6GHz on stock volts, but it wasn't dual prime95 stable. So... I got it stable. And even OCed more.

It's also stable at 2802MHz, but needs an outrageous 1.65V which I didn't like, because of both the amount of volts AND the temp (67C!?!?!?!) Just not worth the extra few ~70MHz.

Maybe I'll try to burn it out in a few years when I get a better processor and phase change cooling (yes, phase change cooling is next on my list). It'll be fun to up it as high as the BIOS will theoretically allow me, and while it might just die, I'll change it with another, better processor anyway... Just for fun =).

Yea, Oh well my overclock works almost perfectly. 2400MHz, CPU/12 for RAM = 200MHz DDR400, and the only problem is the HTT is 960, not 1000.

agi_shi said:
What do you think :)?
2000MHz AM2 Athlon64 X2 3800+ ---> 2721MHz AM2 Athlon64 X2 3800+
This is Athlon FX-62 territory, without the 1MB cache!
nice OC :)

MetalX said:
Yea, Oh well my overclock works almost perfectly. 2400MHz, CPU/12 for RAM = 200MHz DDR400, and the only problem is the HTT is 960, not 1000.
the 960HTT is no big deal, I doubt that you would see any significant performance difference from 960 to 1000. if you want your HTT to be at 1000MHz (2000MT/s) then raise the FSB to 250... that way your HTT will be at 1000MHz (2000MT/s), your CPU will run at 2.5GHz, and your RAM will run at 208MHz (which should run fine unless it's cheap RAM).

I would imagine that you can get much more than 400MHz (or even 500MHz) out of the CPU.

My 1.8GHz Venice 3000+ is runs stable at 2.5GHz [280FSBx9=2520MHz]. 9 is the max CPU multiplier of a 3000+, since you can use a multi of 10 you should be able to go higher than I can (unless your cooling won't allow the higher speeds). I have my RAM underclocked a little because with a CPU multi of 9, I only have 12

This thread got me curious about my CPU again. I haven't pushed this thing to it's limits... i think it's time to see what my max is ;)

KingCody said:
nice OC :)

the 960HTT is no big deal, I doubt that you would see any significant performance difference from 960 to 1000. if you want your HTT to be at 1000MHz (2000MT/s) then raise the FSB to 250... that way your HTT will be at 1000MHz (2000MT/s), your CPU will run at 2.5GHz, and your RAM will run at 208MHz (which should run fine unless it's cheap RAM).

I would imagine that you can get much more than 400MHz (or even 500MHz) out of the CPU.

My 1.8GHz Venice 3000+ is runs stable at 2.5GHz [280FSBx9=2520MHz]. 9 is the max CPU multiplier of a 3000+, since you can use a multi of 10 you should be able to go higher than I can (unless your cooling won't allow the higher speeds). I have my RAM underclocked a little because with a CPU multi of 9, I only have 12

This thread got me curious about my CPU again. I haven't pushed this thing to it's limits... i think it's time to see what my max is ;)
PUSH IT! :), really; I've seen 3000+ CPUs at ~3.2GHz.

What's your Super-PI 1M run, just out of curiosity?

Hmm, what is the highest safe voltage for A64s, I'm scared to go much past 1.5V... And my RAM is 1GB of cheap stuff, that seems to be suspiciously high quality for cheap RAM, and the other 1GB is OCZ dual channel kit. It runs in dual channel, so I figure there can't be any real problems with it. Just a bit angry about the forced 2T command with having 4 sticks of RAM...

I wouldn't push it above 1.525 volts.
Maybe I should try to push mine to 2500 Mhz and above. Currently, my CPU is running @ 2.4 Ghz, and stock voltage (1.4 V)

But maybe it will be useless, because my 512MB of RAM is holding me back.

But I can assure you, I WILL push my future E6300 CPU to at least 2200-2300 Mhz :evil: :evil:

wolfram said:
I wouldn't push it above 1.525 volts.
Maybe I should try to push mine to 2500 Mhz and above. Currently, my CPU is running @ 2.4 Ghz, and stock voltage (1.4 V)

But maybe it will be useless, because my 512MB of RAM is holding me back.

But I can assure you, I WILL push my future E6300 CPU to at least 2200-2300 Mhz :evil: :evil:
People have gotten their E6300 to like 3800MHz I believe.

I thought you had 1GB of RAM wolf? Didn't you used to or do I remember incorrectly?

those temps are fine, agi_shi. you have a fair bit of headroom in the thermal department.

Nice OC.

Check out my Opteron,

That's my son's computer. Those sweet Opteron 165s are selling for for $154 and as fast as a single FX-74. Viva 939!

agi_shi said:
People have gotten their E6300 to like 3800MHz I believe.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want to fry my PRECIOUS investment :)

I thought you had 1GB of RAM wolf? Didn't you used to or do I remember incorrectly?

Yeah, I had 1GB of RAM, but I sold a stick some weeks ago :eek:
But I should get again 1GB or even 2GB of RAM later this year :) :)

zephead said:
those temps are fine, agi_shi. you have a fair bit of headroom in the thermal department.
Wait, did you just say 57C load (with uncured AS5 yet) is "ok"? I thought anything over 50C load is just too much.

Btw, I only have 15 processes running right now (16 is with task manager, 15 is including firefox):
15nc1.png

How do you like that :)? 184mb pagefile usage, could be lower maybe... (1 gig of ram)

That temp is fine, for Pentium processors. For Athlon's, that's a bit high....

And nice pagefile usage :)

Gah, I would have low processes, it's just that I have about 12 svchost.exe processes running... Anyone know why?

My god, that Opteron is stock 1.8GHz... and it's past FX62

12 svchosts?!?! Try closing some of them. But there's one that restarts your machine in 45 seconds. Just like that Sasser worm :mad:

Well not 12, but about 5 or 6... I can't disable them using msconfig so I'm afraid to close them...

Most people like to keep their X2's under 50c. It's not like 70c is going to kill it, it will only shorten it's life. I'd expect my Opteron to out last it's usefulness running over 50c 24/7. Time will tell.

agi_shi said:
Wait, did you just say 57C load (with uncured AS5 yet) is "ok"? I thought anything over 50C load is just too much.
yes...

your processor, running at standard voltages, theoretically hits its limits in the 75c-80c range. i would never run any processor that hot, but there is nothing wrong with 57c (almost 20c cooler) at full load. even with your increased voltages.

50c is far from 'too much.'

does it ever break 60c?

zephead said:
yes...

your processor, running at standard voltages, theoretically hits its limits in the 75c-80c range. i would never run any processor that hot, but there is nothing wrong with 57c (almost 20c cooler) at full load. even with your increased voltages.

50c is far from 'too much.'

does it ever break 60c?
Nope, never even touches 60C. Max I've ever gotten it to on my current volts and MHz is 58C.

I had it at 63C once though, that was when I was stress testing at 2860MHz. It was stable and all, but I thought 63C was too high for max load (btw, by max load I mean dual gromac's core stress testing - max load with gaming is in the high 40s, with idling in the low 30s).

MetalX said:
Well not 12, but about 5 or 6... I can't disable them using msconfig so I'm afraid to close them...
Lol, I closed all svhosts once and one of them decided to give me a "Super-Error" and restart my system. And by "Super-Error", I mean a HUGE red "X" with capital letters all over the place telling me that this was a critical service. Interesting thing was that in the 45 seconds I had, I could run any program normally... I even did a quick super-pi run and it was a bit faster.

A svhost is a service hoster. The less services you have running the less svhosts. Right now I have 27 services running instead of the usual 50 services XP enables by default. This is also my reason for the low pagefile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back