X360 Online Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neji49

I'm planning to get a 360 soon and have some questions about it's connectivity. My router and game systems are in the same room, but I don't think the included ethernet cable is long enough, so is there some sort of additional cable I could attach to it to lengthen it? Second, when I connected my my Wii and DS online, I wasn't able to do so by general means and was forced to use the DMZ. If I were to use a wired connection how would I configure that? It doesn't have it's own IP address if it's wired, does it? My router is a Linksys WRT54X4 if that helps at all. Thanks in advance.

What are you referring to when you say you are going to "...get a 360 soon..."

You can buy a longer cable... they are certainly inexpensive in computer supply stores and online...
What do you mean by DS online, and DMZ...
When you use a wired connection, you don't have to worry much about configuration... unless you mean the cable to the LinkSys, because the cable to the Ethernet socket should just work... if Windows is installed correctly...

Like Ray said if the provided cable is to short just replace it with one that is long enough. I personally have a 360 and its rather straight forward when setting up, if you run windows it will most likely even detect it and want to connect to it. Since you did have issues thou with other consoles please specify more about the situation. While connecting a 360 is rather easy I know of a few who had issues due to there ISP.

Ummm, well as to the getting a 360 soon, I mean I'm planning to buy one in the near future. I did not know that it used a generic Ethernet cable, I assumed they had their own special cable for more money. And wired connections are already taken care of? With my Wii and DS, it was more of an issue with my router not providing bandwidth or port access. I didn't realize it won't place the same restrictions on wired connections though I guess it makes sense.

I think it's important that you note before you buy a new one Microsoft plans to release a new XBOX sometime in 2010! I don't have adirect link for you atm but you can easily find it on 1up and a few other sites with quotes coming directly from the president of xbox.

I think it's important that you note before you buy a new one Microsoft plans to release a new XBOX sometime in 2010! I don't have adirect link for you atm but you can easily find it on 1up and a few other sites with quotes coming directly from the president of xbox.
Really? The reason I'm getting a 360 is that they said they would support it until 2015. I thought the "new" Xbox was really just the old one with natal built in, is this incorrect?

they'll support it alright , but shouldn't u wait for the new model , mind u currently the xbox is going for 150 or so . there easy to setup man upnp ya know , universal plug n play

i know theres goin to be a new model of 360 but as for a totally new new xbox i dont think thatll happen for another yr or 2 and if your lucky enough maybe 3 yrs XD

CNET has a an article on the possible release...

Hey,

I looked around and founda site. However, since I am a newbie I can't post a link. So if you go to CNET and type in XBOX 2010 it should guide to an article with something about the release of Natal. Does anyone know what Natal is? I hope that these speculations are right because I really am a fan of XBox.

Aloha,
Tara

Natal is basically a hands free controller..the controller is...you. If you goto www.xbox.com you can see some information and even videos of it I believe. Looks great, might be something fun to mess around with but imo it'll never be a serious peice of gear for fast pace gaming (example: FPS)

p.s. I'm looking forward to my dashboard being hands free and talking to it to turn it on or off though :)

A system attached to a DMZ is basically totally unprotected :(

The DMZ by design is intended to have systems that are trivial and have full backup/restore capability. T
hey are usually used to hide a second NIC which is attached to a firewall guarding the corporate infrastructure.

Home users should learn how to configure their router + firewall to avoid issues created by a DMZ

i heard u can get viruses and such on ps3s and i do believe wii does any one know about it cuz i think its a farce but then again u never know

microsquish hasnt yet brought out a internet browser

i hope natal brings some good ideas in gaming here soon at least we can get away from the controler a lil XD

Hooking up the 360 is definately easy unless you plan on going with the wireless connector though with the extra cost i say its not really worth it since a longer cable would be cheaper and chances of drop offs being nil

NATAL is going to be like 400$ or so I believe anyhow that i read in a recent OXM magazine so I'd hate to imagine how much this "new" xbox will cost

Not sure i'd really like waving my hands around in order to play a game waving the wiimote around hakf the time gets to me due to my tendonitis in my arms (shoulders, elbows etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back