TechSpot

X58 vs 775 - gaming?

By Jessy12
Feb 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I was just wondering of someone could give me some tips on which would be better for "GAMING".

A high end 775 motherboard with a high end core 2 duo cpu,

or an x58 mobo with the cheapest i7 cpu??

thanks.[​IMG]

2. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

Neither for gaming. My advise, you want a good GPU and an i5 2500k so you can overclock. Since I don't know your budget this is just a recommendation.

3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

What resolutions will you be playing at? Are you a hardcore gamer or just do it every once in a while?

What kind of budget do you have?

Do you currently have any parts to this build?

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,241   +1,549

I agree with Buckshot but from a little different perspective. You would be throwing your money away on old tech. I'm not one to push for over-clocking abilities but from a gamers perspective you would want to purchase new tech.

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

My Core2Quad Q6600 coupled with a HD6870 handles the games I play fine at 1920x1080, but I'm not playing games like Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3 either. It'll play Metro 2033 at 1920x1080 at medium detail okay though, as own that game myself. The same goes for Crysis too.

I agree with others though, set a budget and get the current tech. It is counterproductive to build a new system using old generation computer tech, especially for intensive tasks like gaming.

6. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 614   +96

If you are building a new rig go SB and 2500k

If these are used parts and you don't have the money to build new the x58 will be better.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

Wow, that's special.!

I probably couldn't think of a better system than that, even if I searched all the parts stores on the web.

I agree, the OP should have one of these...!! You should cut him a check for it, since you're trying to make it so patently obvious you have money to burn.. :rolleyes:

LGA775 is a dead end, you shouldn't really consider it for a new PC. Even the early Clarkdale Core i CPUs, beat up on Wolfdale pretty bad on benchmarks.

8. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

Just chill, the DX79TO is a $200.00 board. The BLKDX79TO is a bulk pack of ten boards and it costs $2000.00 plus.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.