Xbox 360 802.11n adapter confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Update: Citing unnamed sources, Ars Technica is reporting that the 802.11n adapter will retail for $100, which will drop the currently available 802.11g unit to $80. No official word from Microsoft yet, though.

Original: Last week we reported that Microsoft was working on an 802.11n adapter for its Xbox 360 console. Microsoft has now confirmed the adapter's existence in a response to Joystiq. The new adapter will effectively double the raw data rate from the currently utilized 802.11b/g, and has already made it to the FCC's hands.

The revamped Wi-Fi dongle will better facilitate the streaming of HD content, and will allow users to "seamlessly connect with their home network with the highest wireless 'N' technology." Redmond offered few details, but it is worth noting that the company referred to the adapter as "another choice to consumers."

Interpret that as you may, but it would seem evident that the new adapter will be marketed alongside the current Wi-Fi adapter and not replace it -- at first anyway. There was no mention of a price or availability, but Microsoft said it would provide more details "soon" and to "stay tuned."

In somewhat related news, Microsoft is offering US customers a $50 mail-in rebate on Xbox 360 Elite consoles purchased between now and October 5. You can find more details about the promotion here.

Permalink to story.

I can only assume that it will do the same thing as other wireless networking devices, provide wireless networking. :)

Wow back to 100 bucks for Wi-Fi on The 360... makes me glad I wired my house for Ethernet instead, one time job and I haven't had to worry or invest since.

WPA2? why bother unless your hiding some major data that people want to steel.
(If that's the case WHY are you using wireless!?)

Just use MAC filtering and don't broadcast your SSID and leave it open, then people (If they can even find it) logon to your network notice things don't work. So they figure its a bum-spot and move on.

Living in a well populated area just using mac filtering I've never had any issues people will try once and move on.

All the encryption dose is use more resources and slow stuff down.

Guest - Just use MAC filtering??? Whats the point of that .. ? Why not use WEP while your at it . MAC filtering is the easiest of them all to go straight through. ...just scan the network (even if SSID brodcast is off it will be found) You will also see the other machines connected through the router.(and the mac adresses of them.) .....change your mac adress to one that you found ... you are in ... Then you can attack the router it self and add another mac to the filtering if you want to surf without problems furter on. (2 identical mac addresses in the same network can yield interesting results) ...
an on the note "why bother unless your hiding some major data that people want to steel" Well all wireless is breakable. But you might want to at least keep pedofiles surfing of your IP. Thats a reason to atleast encrypt you network as safe as you can.
Its not always what data someone would want to steal...its what they can use your network for and the leave the blame onto you.

I think the prices for these xbox360 wireless adapter things ridiculous. Hell with a bit guide of the web and a linksys router you can make your own, and it only cost you $60, and you now have a spare router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back