TechSpot

Xbox 360 hard drive retains credit card information after factory reset

By Shawn Knight
Apr 2, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A group of researchers from Drexel University claim that data left behind on an old Xbox 360 hard drive is susceptible to theft, even after the drive has been reset…

Read the whole story

2. Well now this is public information, the credit card information is definitely going to safe. /sigh

3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 925   +247

Well yeah it works like any hard drive.
    Wiping/formatting/re-partitioning doesn't truly erase the old data.
    I've pulled data off drives that have been reformatted more then once, and I mean low level format = wiped.

So Microsoft can't deny it I am glad they did a undeniable test.

4. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 559   +150

This makes it sound like the Credit Card is stored on the 360's harddrive. There is no way that the CC would be stored locally.
    So if anything, they accessed the "erased" XBL profile, logged in, and then could use the CC to potentially purchase content (not use the CC outside of XBL).

So it isn't nearly as bad as this makes it sound. If you made it so that you have to sign in before accessing XBL, you are "safe".

5. What a crock !
    My grandmother serves cookies after lunch too.
    I love it when sites serves up FUD.

6. A wipe is not just reformating. Use something like DBAN (Dariks Boot and Nuke) and then maybe you can feel safe. If your really paranoid you can physically shred it at some places.

7. The credit card details are not on the console, only the profile, that has an authorization for a credit card. But Microsoft provides all the tools on the console to protect your Xbox account; just explore the menus, read the instructions, all the safety documents and terms of use, and if you follow al the instructions Microsoft provides you there will be no unauthorized charges or even access on your Xbox account. As a matter of fact, Xbox is the most safe gaming system by far.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.