Xbox 360 update to bring Netflix improvements, Games On Demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has just announced the details of an upcoming Xbox 360 dashboard update, which should add a raft of new features promised at this year’s E3. Not everything will come at once. Specifically Facebook and Twitter integration as well as instant 1080p streaming and Last.fm support aren’t ready yet and will be coming out sometime in the fall. But a summer update, expected in the next few weeks, will bring plenty of goodies in the meantime.

Those of you in the U.S. will see a number of Netflix updates, including the ability to browse the library and manage your queue, more consistent playback when your internet bandwidth fluctuates, and the ability to form "Movie Parties" where up to eight Gold members can sit together in a virtual theater to watch a film. Xbox Live Parties in general will also see an update, with party invites being streamlined down to a one-click system, and automatic reconnections for users who accidently get disconnected while in one.

One of the most anticipated new features, Games On Demand, will launch in August as part of a preview release. This means full Xbox 360 games available for purchase via Live using either Microsoft Points or any debit or credit cards you have.

The update will also include a new Rate It system for downloadable games, a section to buy clothes for user avatars and many other interface tweaks and usability improvements.

Permalink to story.

Wow, todays consoles aren't even just for gaming anymore..... They have turned into a ****ing social hub. 360 PS3 and Wii Imo, aren't worthy to be called gaming consoles anymore.

I doubt my 1.5 Meg connection will fit the bill for the 1080P streaming, but If it is streamed at lower qualitys, then I am ok. I hope you will be able to download the stuff, not just stream it. I live in the UK so don't care about whatever netflix is. SKY TV on Xbox, with the amount of content on the Skyplayer it should be very good.Games on Demand, Finally I will not have to worry about scratched disks anymore. People who prefer Optical media are mad IMO. New game small my ase, I only have a 1 meg connection, takes about 12 hours to download an 8 gig game, I don't care, not having to worry about disks and products keys FTW!

Ok with Downloads you can't exchange them, but I tried exchanging some games, not worth it IMO. Most games have demos anyway. czplayer, U are right, these are not gaming consoles any more, but you could say the PS1 was a Cd player because it played music CDs, the PS2+ Xbox was a DVD player, The ps3 Is a Blueray Player and can be made into a computer, and the Xbox has on demand TV and loads more stuff coming soon. So consoles have not been just Gaming consoles for a long time/

My avatar doesn't care that his clothe suck ( or maybe he does =? ). Anyway nice that they are adding so many nice features. Granted I personally don't care and probably won't participate in the social aspects added as I'm really starting to dislike them. As long as I'm not forced to integrate it or that it will by itself I don't care. Games On Demand on the other hand is going to be an awesome feature.

I'd just like to know when/if they're going to drop the price of the 60 and 120gb harddrive addons. I can't fit much on my 20gb drive.

I don't care at all about the avatar stuff either, but the Games On Demand feature (and the fact that you don’t need MS Points for it) sounds nice.

ya know im sure M$/xbox made an announcement when avatars came out that they werent goin to try an sell clothes or make a profit from it, but i spose times change, prices go up an everything, everything that was once free suddenly becomes chargeable

FINALLY I WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH SCRATCHED DVD'S!!!! They also should have had party chats as a feature on launch day but sure, better late then never...

I think the ps3 is the better bet. It ALLOWS blu-ray dvd playing, of course plays games, and now offers netflix streaming. With the pricing of the slim, how can you go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back