Xbox 360 USB storage confirmed, update coming April 6

By Matthew
Mar 26, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Following last week's rumors, Microsoft has confirmed plans to add USB storage support to the Xbox 360. On April 6, the company will release a system update via Xbox Live allowing any USB flash drive from 1GB and up to be used for storing game data, such as profiles, saves, demos, and more.

Read the whole story
  2. stan4

stan4 Newcomer, in training Posts: 33

Wow, this is great news.

Now why would someone choose to buy a model apart from the arcade? lol, I'm going for the arcade now!
  3. elroacho72

elroacho72 Newcomer, in training Posts: 124

This is cool, I have been needing this update or room in my Xbox for awhile now.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,428   +281

I don't know much about the 360 myself, so I was wondering this exact same thing.
  5. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

Nice the see the 360 catch up. Never had any troubles coping data to and from my ps3 via my external hdd or my 512mb memory stick.
  6. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +30

That's earlier than expected. Nice.
  7. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

LOL...you know what? If the XBox and PS3 keep up with these add-ons, they're going to end up building them into plain old PC's.
  8. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

TomSEA, it would be more accurate to say they are slowing unlocking them into plain old PC's.
  9. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Smart PR move from Microsoft but still wish they would let you use your own HDD without issues. Looking around at prices an 8/16 GB flash drive runs for ~$20/$40, whereas you can buy the official 60/120 GB HDD from Microsoft for ~$80/$100 and soon to be 250 GB for $130 dollars. So you aren't really saving any money just paying less over all. But this is nice news for those who don't use the 360 often and want a little more space for content like myself. I personally would like to get a bigger HDD but don't feel like paying for the overpriced proprietary HDD's when I see $80 prices running for a 500 GB on Newegg.
  10. levar

levar Newcomer, in training Posts: 232

Sweet! Thing is its limited but nice, if they allowed higher well we all know what would happen. Still someone might find some hack and probably remove that limit and you never know people are just gonna start dl games. Good luck looking forward to this feature. Nice birthday present :p
  11. They are PC's now, preconfigured, out of the box machines designed for one purpose. kinda like a Mac. Although I would Wish I could configure my own HDD for my 360. or Much Cheaper add-on HDD's from M$. M$ 360 drives are still twice the price of standard 2.5" drives.

12. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

More like triple and that's if you consider the 250gb $130 deal. But ya I agree wish we could =/ .
  13. Thompson

Thompson Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

What a world shattering bit of amazing ingenuity and innovation!

Really people?
    It's USB support...
  14. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 515

LOL, oops sorry! .. hello ...

nice MOVE MS ;) ... was about time!

humm, that gives me some idea though ...

i'll be back!

cheers!
  15. the 360 uses a format called fatx32 any one who used anything before ntfs knows why there is a limitation
  16. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 541

So I can carry my gamertag around with me? sweet no more spending ages sticking password in just to recover Gamertag.
  17. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,473   +301

What a strange post?

Go on, say what you wanted to say?

Although I do agree with the one part of this comment, it is the right move from MS.
  18. thyro16

thyro16 Newcomer, in training

hi , i ahve a qeustion

can i still play downloaded games , when i update ??

PLS respont as soon as possible , TNX

awnser to ::::: zombie-dyl@hotmail.com

TNX
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.