Xbox.com getting avatar editor, Windows Phone 7 web games

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has announced that tomorrow morning at 5AM EST, Xbox.com and the Xbox forums will be going down. When the site comes back, it will not only have a fresh new look but some added functionality as well. For a sneak peek of what's coming, you can check out Major Nelson's Flickr stream: Xbox.com Update. The Xbox LIVE service is not affected by this upgrade and will remain available.

New features introduced in the redesign include:

• Browser based Avatar editor: Edit your avatar and preview avatar items before purchase
  • Combined views for messages, friend and game requests
  • Improved notification of your account subscription
  • Leverage Family Reports to understand what your family is doing and how they are using LIVE
  • Play web games with your Xbox LIVE friends on the web or on Windows Phone 7
  • Marketplace: More powerful search and more intuitive ways to browse and filter

The most important part of this update is the closer integration between the Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 7. A new browser-based avatar editor will definitely be nice, but Web games that you'll be able to play with your Xbox Live friends on the Web or on Windows Phone 7 is much more interesting. We'll keep an eye on this.

Permalink to story.

Do people actually (plan to) use Xbox.com for gaming?

Just when I thought iPad users were delusional, I find out about this.

I paid 40 bucks for a one year renewal, and every time I boot my 360 it bugs me about renewing. Lets just say if I don't get that renewal I will NEVER be a customer of anything Microsoft again. I have defended them for 3 straight years and that somehow isn't enough. This doesn't mean I'm going Apple, it means I will always steal Windows over paying for it until they manage to throw me into a jail cell for it.

Back