Xbox Live and PlayStation Network suffer intermittent outages amid hacking claims

1. Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, the online services for Microsoft's and Sony's game consoles, are experiencing intermittent outages apparently due to a malicious distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack.

Read more
  2. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 599   +57

So they go from wanting the US to stop attacking ISIS to wanting retweets? Lawl
  3. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

DDoS != Hacking
    Just a bunch of attention seeking script kiddies
  4. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 819   +52

Honestly think if Microsoft and Sony can't get a hold on this, they might have to rethink their business model. And games released that require patches before they can be played. Installs that require Internet connections. If you can't get online to do these things regularly, people will find other things to do and other ways to spend their money. £60 a game for something that might just unavailable to play isn't sustainable. Maybe once or twice a year something happens can be laughed off but sustained attacks cant. PC games have had issues, servers have gone offline. But the PC hardware isn't reliant on a steam connection (as an example) to get any use out of it. In a lot of cases, no Xbox live means no service.

I'd say it's interesting to see how Ms and Sony will approach this but it's not really. Seems if a bunch of people want to hire a botnet they can take out gaming across the world and the millions paying hundreds of pounds can't do anything about it.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  5. Well, M$ is doing something from what I've noticed. LS threatened much more for christmas than their last attacks on xbl and failed to deliver on that. They did something, but they are obviously being slowed down as far as attacking xbl goes (so far). Unless they lost focus. Either way it doesn't matter what they say they will do now. They are losing momentum imo.
  6. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

Isn't the interview movie being shown thru those networks?
  7. josh brown

josh brown TS Rookie

a DDoS doesn't mean hacking its a denial of service it just happens to be that through hacking they've made Xbox account and Xbox live and PSN DDos. But at the same time you could argue that sony's playstation and microsoft's xbox should have better security to be able to not allow people to hack into the servers. At the same time we who have Xbox accounts or Playstation accounts have to pay for service and for online access and yet we don't get the service we want therefore its not right on our behalf and im a big microsoft fan and yet I still think the past month there service has been shocking.
  8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,159   +67

Really? Isn't it possible to play single player games you have installed if Live is down?
  9. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 819   +52

A single player game can be played. Disk based games that are already installed and any digital games if you are on your "home" Xbox. But if you are using an Xbox that isn't your home Xbox you need to be signed in to play digital games that aren't owned by the Xbox owner. so there's some stuff you can do but nothing you pay the yearly sub to Microsoft. Nearly all my games are online (gta, destiny, Diablo and FIFA). If they took the online part away from the package I would never have paid £300 for the console in the first place, wouldn't own those games and would be doing something (probably more healthy) with my time off. Maybe it's a good thing these guys are doing their thing to wreck it all for everyone.