Xbox live & Siemens Gigaset SE587 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone out there could help.

Until recently I have been using Xbox live with my wireless network adaptor with no problems at all with my router, except for a rare disconnection or two.

However for the last 3 weeks now, I have been lucky for my Xbox 360 to connect at all. It does still however connect occasionally.

Simply using the ethernet cable is not an option I have.

The problem is this: My Xbox never fails to find my wireless network, but it will not connect despite the correct using the correct WPA2 passkey. I know it is not an adaptor problem because I can connect to an unsecure network in my area, however this has a poor signal. I know it is not a modem security issue because I have turned off my routers WPA2 security and it still won't connect (despite finding it). I'm not really familiar with port-forwarding and DMZ, and not sure if this is even the problem as this is a very recent thing. I have tried changing the transmitting channel but to no avail. Messing about with the modem settings have caused me to do more than a few reinstallations so I am hesitant to continue down this route without help.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem could be and what solutions I might try? Troubleshooting on the net has proved fruitless thus far and I am hesitant to contact Microsoft, who will likely say it is a router problem, and my ISP will likely try refer me to Microsoft.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help

OK....

Whilst this specific router might not be anyones speciallity, I thought I would keep this updated, because when I suss it out, it might help someone else out.

I had a spare few hours yesterday, so I thought I would look into my problem a bit more in depth.

I checked all morning and it was the same old story, however I made a point of noting specific things down in order to compare them once the system did connect no doubt later that day. Interestingly when it worked, my PC had IPv4 192.168.1.3 with my Xbox being assigned 192.168.1.2 via DHCP

Now checking this morning, no Xbox connection, I check again and now my PC is 192.168.1.2

That doesn't seem right to me, could that be the problem?

Ps. My ISP pleaded ignorance and I'm awaiting a response from Xbox LIVE support.

I know the answers here somewhere sadly I lack the ability to see it. More info time, this time I'll post my Windows IP Configuration and some router info. If anyone notices anything odd, please let me know.

C:\Users\User>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : User-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : tiscali.co.uk
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : tiscali.co.uk
co.uk

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tiscali.co.uk
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern
et NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-21-F0-B0-6E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c821:44c5:fce1:d92b%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.111(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 June 2010 11:52:38
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 15 June 2011 11:52:37
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201333025
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-10-58-14-70-00-19-21-F0-B0-6E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tiscali.co.uk
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.tiscali.co.uk
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

From the DSL status screen:

Driver Version: 1.75
API Version: GS_API_626
Firmware Version: E.25.41.18 A
Dsp Version: 0x000000e1
US Trained Rate: 576 kbps
DS Trained Rate: 5088 kbps
Current US data rate during last 30 sec: 0.192 kbps
Current DS data rate during last 30 sec: 0.115 kbps
Local Line Attenuation: 27.0 dB
Remote Line Attenuation: 15.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 20.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 8.0 dB
Operation Progress: 0x000000ad
State: Showtime
Rx ATTNDR: 9008000
Tx Cell Rate: 1358
Rx Cell Rate: 12000
Overall Failure: 0
PMmode: L2L3Allowed
Local ITUCountry Code: 0x0000b5ff
Auto Start: true
Whip Active: Inactive
Profile: BT
Standard: BisPlusAuto
Utopia Interface: Level1
Rx Auto Bin Adjust: Disable
Tx Attenuation: Bis_0DB
Detect Noise: Disable
Capability: A2/A2+
Coding Gain: auto
Framer Type: Type3ET

My UPnP is enabled with DHCP custom set for

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254

after being on

192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

by default

I'll again stress that I haven't tried static IP (successfully) and portforwarding, but considering it works sometimes, with no NAT restrictions I am doubtful this is a problem. And I'll mention again that my encryption is WPA2, I am using the correct passkey, and when not in a connecting mood it doesn't matter if the encryption is WPA2, WEP or even disabled.

Maybe I've got tech-lexia but most of that just looks like mumbo jumbo to me

I know this might be annoying posting on my own thread, but it's allowing me to see what I've done, and a cumulation of a lot of work in one place so I can try figure it out if noone else can help.

Perhaps a breakthrough?

My connection was working, but didn't sever completely straight away. When testing connection (my xbox is set up to configure automatically the IP and subnet etc) I noticed I was being given some crazy address starting with 169.XXX.XXX.X instead of the usual 192.168.1.2

Is this likely to be a PC DHCP error or is it possible my wireless adaptor is at fault in being unable to retrieve these settings? My DHCP is still 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254.

I realise I might now be bordering on the tedious...

The End, but not the preferable end?

Hi, thought I'd conclude this thread with what happened in the end.

To cut a long story short, I may never know what the problem was.

I cracked at the weekend and finally called my ISP to report the problem, believing it to definitely be a router problem as I could still access an unsecured network with minimal disconnections (considering the low signal strength).

So an engineer visited yesterday (after the tedious and patronizing telephone call, 'have you tried switching your broadcast channel etc) and wouldn't you know... I got a connection. But, and Tiscali/TalkTalk get a fairly bad rep. online, the engineer told me that he trusted what I was telling him and he gave me a new router, a Thomson TG787, and said he would put the other through as being faulty. To be honest I 'feared' it would work and kind of hoped that they would just give me a new one anyway. I guess it isn't too much hassle for him really seeing as he had brought another router with him anyway!

This has worked flawlessly since installment with no changes needed to be made to the settings. To add to that, my broadband speed was upgraded by almost a third by my ISP. I don't know whether to be happy about this or annoyed as to why I wasn't getting this in the first place.

So in the end, I don't know whether to be happy or annoyed, happy that it's finally over, or annoyed over the countless hours spent troubleshooting to have the problem solved so instantaneously and easily, almost like cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back