Xbox Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

clipper

lo guys, I know there are allot of threads on the net about this kind of thing, but they don't really make things crystal for me, maybe I'm dim. :D

I'm trying to hook up my 360 to the Ethernet socket on the back of my motherboard (Asus P5N32-E) and have come to the conclusion that for it to work that way I would need a network card. Which is kind of not an option for me due to expense.

So here's the thing I need cleared up a little. I have a Speed-touch 330 ADSL Modem, which connects to the back of my PC via USB. It then goes into a little Speed-touch filter box (I think its called) which lets out a wire which plugs straight into the main phone line. From what I've gathered on the net, for it to work without a network card, I need to buy myself a router with some Ethernet ports on the back, plug the Ethernet cable into the back of the router, then plug my modem into my PC via the USB, and connect the phone line into the Router, then have the router connect into the Speed-touch filter box. Then I have to set up ICS so that it'll allow the connection from my xbox and my PC at the same time.

Is this correct? if not what won't work about it?

I understand that I'd probably have to have the PC and the xbox on at the same time, which is absolutely no problem at all, I usually have music playing through my speakers anyway.

My other question would be, what router would be best? I would like to stay away from wireless, if possible, I really don't trust the connection on it and I know allot of people that have had trouble with it. The other thing is I'd need to keep the cost to a minimum, £20-30 max. as it's going to be a added Christmas present on top of a 22" monitor (which will have my xbox plugged into it coincidentally :D.) I would have found something myself, if I knew what I were looking for, so if you guys could point me in the right direction, or link a few routers that you think would give me lag free fragging, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks allot, Clipper.

Graphically, it looks like this
Code:
phone jack 
  |
dsl Modem
 |
 +---Ethernet Cable ---(wan Port)Router(lan ports) --- to the system(USB device) 
                                               |
                                              +---- the Xbox device

Graphically, it looks like this
Code:
phone jack 
  |
dsl Modem
 |
 +---Ethernet Cable ---(wan Port)Router(lan ports) --- to the system(USB device) 
                                               |
                                              +---- the Xbox device

no idea what thats about :p

edit: or should i say, i dont under stand it like that. :) phonejack - > modem - > then its ?? ?? ?? for me :s, you mean the ethernet cable into the modem, then into the router? thats not possible for me.. theres no ethernet socket on the back of the modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back