Xbox One will come with unlimited cloud storage

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has announced that their upcoming game console, the Xbox One, will feature unlimited cloud storage for both game data and "entertainment". The feature will be available to all Xbox Live users on the Xbox One for the first time, not just those with a Gold subscription.

Xbox Live offers Xbox One unlimited storage space in the cloud for all Xbox Live members to store numerous types of Xbox Live content, including your profile, games, Achievements and entertainment. This content is stored and saved in the cloud so you can automatically access it anywhere, anytime, no matter where you are.

It's not quite clear at this stage what Microsoft means by "entertainment" as we can't imagine they'll want users uploading terabytes of Blu-ray movies, but it could refer to the console's in-game screenshotting and video capturing capabilities. However you'll still be able to upload an infinite amount of game data, giving you - as Microsoft puts it - an "unlimited sized" hard drive to store everything on, complementing the 500 GB internal drive.

The Xbox 360 had a mediocre cloud storage limit of 512 MB for game data, which isn't really enough to store your entire gaming profile including all your saved games for the lifetime of the console. With Microsoft's efforts to improve both their Azure cloud platform and SkyDrive, and with some companies such as Flickr offering as much as 1 TB of free cloud storage, it's not hugely surprising that going into this next generation of consoles we're seeing significant improvements to online services.

Since its announcement, the Xbox One has copped a significant amount of flack for various features, some, like the infamous 24-hour online requirement, have been removed for the final version. Closer to the actual release of the Xbox One, Microsoft is trying hard to improve the public's opinion of the console, and features such as unlimited cloud storage are a step in the right direction.

Permalink to story.

This is nice, but it ain't changing my (or many others) opinion on the next gen consoles, and just seems like a desperate attempt at gaining people's approval again.

Too little, too late Microsoft.

And for easy and instant access (for them!) linked directly to NSA servers.

I can imagine how this conversation went at MS.

Bob - "Wow, they sure got upset about that 'Always Connected' requirement we made"
Steve - "Don't worry, we can still make them always play online"
Bob - 'How?'
Steve - "We'll give them free cloud storage. They'll put their games on our servers and then they'll have to be connected to access them. We'll have security built in to make sure no one is accessing any one else's content. End result is the same, but this time they'll thank us for it."
Bob - "Brilliant!"

This is nice, but it ain't changing my (or many others) opinion on the next gen consoles, and just seems like a desperate attempt at gaining people's approval again.

Too little, too late Microsoft.

You're just biased. Of course they want to gain approval, without approval they don't have sales. They want sales and money. Just like every single tech company out there. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Sony, Samsung... They all want freakin' money. They won't do anything to make it so they don't get money. It's just that simple.

I feel like the PS4 may have some trouble. Games like Titanfall are exclusive to PC and Xbox One because MS agreed to dedicated servers while Sony did not. The games I am interested in are on Xbox One and PC. Good I have a moderate PC :D.

Store your data in a glorified server farm... don't complain when it's hacked.

You're just biased. Of course they want to gain approval, without approval they don't have sales. They want sales and money. Just like every single tech company out there. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Sony, Samsung... They all want freakin' money. They won't do anything to make it so they don't get money. It's just that simple.

Accusing companies of wanting to make money is like accusing a sports team of wanting to win.

I feel like the PS4 may have some trouble. Games like Titanfall are exclusive to PC and Xbox One because MS agreed to dedicated servers while Sony did not. The games I am interested in are on Xbox One and PC. Good I have a moderate PC :D.

Exactly like what trouble? They didn't screw over their customers then lie to them publicly twice, they have more better games than xbox one and all their games have dedi servers which lets be honest ain't a "exclusive feature" now is it.

Plus PS4 has a HELL of a lot more power than xbox one which will make it the more dominant console that and the fact its all for gaming with no lies behind it.

PS4 may have more power (though not as large of an advantage as some may think), but for multi-platform games you probably won't notice much of a difference between Xbox One and PS4 games. Exclusives is where you will probably notice a difference, but it probably won't be that large to be honest. What I really like about the PS4 though is the price, definitely more attractive than Microsoft's.

"Store your data in a glorified server farm... don't complain when it's hacked."
If you choose to store sensitive data on a 'server farm' then you deserve what's coming. No system is invulnerable to hacking.

Exactly like what trouble? They didn't screw over their customers then lie to them publicly twice, they have more better games than xbox one and all their games have dedi servers which lets be honest ain't a "exclusive feature" now is it.

Plus PS4 has a HELL of a lot more power than xbox one which will make it the more dominant console that and the fact its all for gaming with no lies behind it.

I never said I liked the One! I would still get a PS4 if I were to buy a console.

PS4 may have more power (though not as large of an advantage as some may think), but for multi-platform games you probably won't notice much of a difference between Xbox One and PS4 games. Exclusives is where you will probably notice a difference, but it probably won't be that large to be honest. What I really like about the PS4 though is the price, definitely more attractive than Microsoft's.

The ps4 is almost double the power of the Xbox one if you take away the EDRAM from the Xbox, even with the EDRAM it's still got to be efficiently programmed and managed, lets just say even cross platformers will be better on ps4, easier architecture and doesn't need so much baby sitting to get the most out of it, again though, we won't start seeing to much difference until devs have got to grips with them, this could take 3 years plus.

At the moment, Xbox cad even give 10000 $ certificate or cards or value for games, or anything, damage is ALLREADY DONE. Ps4 is the winner here, instead of doing crap like this Microsoft can postpone the launch of 1 to an unspecified date, that will clear SOME of the hate.

Xbox One has a much broader appeal than PS4 because MS didn't just focus on gaming. Far from being "too little too late"....for a lot of the whiny gamers out there the Xbox One is probably "too much too early". But don't worry, they'll get it eventually.

"... Microsoft can postpone the launch of 1 to an unspecified date, that will clear SOME of the hate."
And anger the people that do want an Xbox One? No, that's not at all logical.

Yep, and they're busy putting anyone playing first-person shooters on the "potential threat "list. Watch Psycho-Pass to see where it all leads.

"... Microsoft can postpone the launch of 1 to an unspecified date, that will clear SOME of the hate."
And anger the people that do want an Xbox One? No, that's not at all logical.

Why would you want a xbox one after being screwed over badly then getting lied to?

^ Why don't you ask one of the many who have pre-ordered one? Apparently not that many people feel screwed over and lied to because the Xbox One is still being sold out.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/playstation-4-xbox-one-pre-orders-sold-out-most-major-6C10621730

Doubt many people with a common sense would throw money at a over-priced All-In-One console? with a camera that will always spy on you and when you can throw money at a good priced awesome console that didn't screw over their customers or lie to them blatantly...

Look at all the silly PlayStation fanboys who clearly haven't done their research. Yes the PlayStation is stronger than the Xbox. Yes they are dominating prouder sales. No they are not offering next Gen experiences. No they aren't listening to the customers. Tell me a true next Gen feature PlayStation has offered? Instead of focusing on their own console and ways to improve it they just gave you a ps3 with upgraded graphics and a better processor. Sad that they haven't innovated anything new into the console. Did you know Xbox is looking into augmented reality glasses? Did you know Xbox paired with the cloud gives it the power of 4 Xboxs? Did you know Xbox hasn't lost faith in their kinect like PlayStation did with their eye? It's funny to see Sony taking the cowards way out and it's nice to see Microsoft taking the criticism and adjusting accordingly.

Back