TechSpot

Xeon chip in Dell 450 problem

By dell450and470
Nov 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,

I am a total newbie as far as manipulating hardware. i mean I have changed and added hard rives before but not what ensues:

I was recently given two Dells - a Precision 450 and 470. Both can accept two Xeon chips. One has the two and works great(the 470)

the other only has one chip a 2,0 Ghz.

THE PROBLEM:

I removed the chip and put it back and the PC won't start. when I plus in the power cord in the back, I get:

-a light on the mobo
    -no whiring fan sound (that i used to get, and i get on the 470 without even powering on)

when the chip came out(stuck to the Heatsink with the paste), i thought maybe i slightly bent a pin, so with a metal cutter blade i gently bent it back to what appears aligned while looking from both axes. i am sure that ti aligned the chip correctly, but it is true that the pins aren't near the edge of this chip, and other hardware housing the heatsink prevents a good viewing angle to 'watch' the pins go in. I did it by feeling. I was careful to not touch any part of the chip except the edge. i put it all back- but did not chcnag ethe paste- and the thing doesn't wotk. I also had removed the two fans by unplugging their plugs on the mobo, bu these went back in fine..

I would love to get another chip for this PC and use it as part of a three d render farm. times are tough, and i cannot afford a 4000USD PC, so i am trying to get these 5 year old machines to work!!

so far i have just managed to break one! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    thanks-

Peter

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.