TechSpot

Xfire purchased by Titan Gaming, developers leaving

By Matthew
Aug 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Xfire, a popular game-oriented messenger platform, has come under new ownership. According to official announcements today, Titan Gaming has purchased the service for an undisclosed sum, and most of the existing team is leaving. A developer bid his farewells in a message on the Xfire site. "We've enjoyed our time and I personally am sad that I was only able to do 127 releases. Good bye and game on!"

Read the whole story

2. CRad

CRad TS Rookie

yes!

Xfire still has a lot over steam... Steam is not a dedicated messenger, although it has some unique things about it and a very nicely polished design (which xfire needs desperately) it is still lagging being quite a lot in many respects!

I use xfire as a games commentator, people are able to contact me easily, chat easily and make comments during matches that I can then read without interrupting the flow of the cast... Steam lacks that and lacks the "grouping" ability (amongst a zillion others)... xfire is still strong and will be (especially think of "the resistance", i.e. those that hate steam and refuse to use it)

3. myrmidonks

myrmidonks TS Rookie Posts: 65

Xfire has one of the best in-game recording features I have ever seen. It has a very polished design, and allows you to choose size and quality of the recording. A downside is that the Xfire- in game feature that allows you to record, chat, etc. from a game cannot be used with some games that have protection against 3rd party programs being used with their games.

4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Been using Xfire since its early years on and off and I love it. I wish Steam would adopt some of there ideas as its messenger service alone feels dated even with the recent updates. I am a bit concerned though with Titan Gamings motivations especially since the core veteran team left Xfire. Makes me wonder what direction they plan to go with Xfire down the road especially since they aren't shy of advertising their goals of monetization.

5. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

i haven't used xfire in years... since the glory days of CS:S!

6. I have been using xfire since the beginning. Its a shame to see them go.

7. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 844   +11

I've used it off and on for several years. I like the in game messaging, and how I can control my iTunes from inside the game. A few games I have don't alt+tab very fast or reliably - namely SC2....

8. bandit8623

bandit8623 TS Rookie Posts: 45

steam doesn't have the file sharing feature. still use it for that sometimes. i remember still when i entered an xfire contest for a dlink dgl-4300 gaming router and won! couldn't believe it :)

9. Docnoq

Docnoq TS Rookie Posts: 141

I used it when it first was released and for several years later.. until Steam started tracking my game time for games. However, I recently started using it again now that I play SC2. I mainly just want to keep track of the number of hours I put in it :p

10. c0nf1ck3r

c0nf1ck3r TS Rookie

i have it start up with windows each boot! i like how it keeps track of games i play, not provided on steam always. i dont use it to IM much, but i still enjoy it, and talk in it occasionally.

11. teklord

teklord TS Maniac Posts: 526

I'm on XFire now and I love using it. Haven't tried Steam messenger yet so I can't compare it to that. Love recording my hours with it, taking tons of screenies, occasional videos, monitoring FPS levels and more. I don't play PC games without it now days. Can't stand a lot of people on my friends list though. It's hard not get rude people on your friends list. >:|

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.