XFX Reference or GHz?

Aranc

Alright, Im going to buy a new GPU in 3 days, but I'm still not sure which. I was aiming for the XFX 7970 GHz edition, but some people say buying the reference model and OCing it is way better. Is there any real differencen between the two? I mean I dont mind buying the reference card and overclocking it, but maybe it is possible to OC the GHz further?

People say the reference can be OCed further than the GHz addition. But not by much. The OC isnt really worth the 20 extra bucks if you know how to do it yourself. It gives you an enthusiast-like feeling to overclock. If you arent a newbie to OCing, go for the reference. I wouldnt buy the 7970 with the reference design though. Go for one with an aftermarket cooler like the XFX Double D since OCing produces a lot of heat and the reference cooler cant handle it past a certain point. XFX is a good choice because of the lifetime warranty. Make sure OCing doesnt void that warranty before you buy. If it does, get the GHz edition. This is the XFX GHz edition: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150632

I was going for the Double Dissipation model so that should be fine. The overclocking won't be any problem at all either.. But I believe there is no way of telling that you have OCed the card so. I think I'm convinced now, I'll get the reference model.

But I believe there is no way of telling that you have OCed the card
Yep, I think that's true, but make sure you keep an eye on your load temps when overclocked.

Ghz edition is mainly a marketing ploy IMO, pretty much every single regular 7970 will get to 1.1Ghz+.

Back