XP 32-bit to 64-bit

ucould2

Xp 32Bit to 64Bit where do I start hmmm..
I've just purchased Windows XP 64bit OEM (my first windows O/S) and I want to start to transpose what I have in this environment Xp 32bit (upon a system I recycled) to the fresh install or/and work out what I will loose too...
I understand I need to do a little research into drivers and bios
question should I do the install onto a new drive too?
question can I move this drive with the 32bit OS into another computer?
question can I use the licence key of the other machine to validate this transfer of software?
question what happens to all the Microsoft programs Excel/Word/Powerpoint/Outlook are they invalid now?
Please any information/accomplishments/past problems/short cuts would be greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance

1.Hard drive doesnt really need to be new to install xp on it.
2.No, you cant move a host/master hdd to another pc and just expect it to "presto change O" work.
3 You can use any validation key once. But only on one device at a time. If I remember correctly with xp oem and a third change of motherboards I had to call MS to validate as it wouldn't do it on its own anymore.
4. Your software isn't necessarily invalid, but don't expect to be able to install them on more than one machine at one time, unless the rules/guide lines specifically allow you to install the software on multiple devices.

Report back if I missed anything.

You could save some time and grief by using the windows files transfer wizard.
If you make sure you have your files backed up this anyway, this is worth doing.

You could save some time and grief by using the windows files transfer wizard.
If you make sure you have your files backed up this anyway, this is worth doing.

I took your advise and went out and purchased Acronis back up software. However this has lent it's self to another problem as I only purchased (could afford) one copy which seems to be a waste. As I'm going to use it to copy software that if all goes to plan I won't be using again, after I install the 64bit version?

Did you give Windows Easy Transfer a try? Also, if you need to upgrade more than one computer, consider checking out the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack, which allows you to upgrade up to three computers.

Jason,
Windows Outreach Team

@JasonWinTeam
I have currently installed Win. XP pro SP3-32bit this version was on the computer when I (recycled it) saved it from the landlord, and certain decimation. It is not my own registered copy so there-fore in MS opinion, counterfeit (and no I don't have the installation CD although I do know the previous owner). Any way back to the "__" MB only has three slots for DDR ram and current config. only up to 2Gb.....so therefore Windows anything above XP maybe I say maybe a waste of time/money. This is not the reason I'm going down the 64bit path- that is due to USB instability ie. if I have a Verbatim flash drive in one port then plug in my Epson Stylus TX 100 (to any of the six-standard- peripheral plugs) the sys. drops the oldest??

I will recap your questions, but before I start, take note that 64-bit XP was never properly developed or debugged, and never had anything resembling full driver development from peripheral suppliers. Only Vista and later (some would say only Win7 and later) have proper 64-bit working. So 64-bit would not as a general rule be recommend for XP at all, not forgetting that some of the software you already own may not work under 64-bits.

question should I do the install onto a new drive too? Entirely up to you - take into account how much space you want, how old the drive is. You will need to supply XP drivers for SATA drives during install of XP - not always easy.

question can I move this drive with the 32bit OS into another computer? You may be entitled to but it will absolutely need to be freshly-installed on different hardware, for which you would need a proper retail install CD. Furthermore if the OS was supplied by a specific manufacturer for the specific model range only, it will not install at all on another PC.

question can I use the licence key of the other machine to validate this transfer of software? Only if it was a retail copy. See above.

question what happens to all the Microsoft programs Excel/Word/Powerpoint/Outlook are they invalid now? Again you are entitled to, but only if they remain only on one PC. Plus I'm not sure if the 32-bit versions work on 64-bit XP.

So all-in-all your best approach is leave the PC be, and solve the USB problem instead. This question of USB faults has been covered time and again on this forum. And EXHAUSTIVELY here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic122125.html Check drivecleanup in particular.

AlbertLionheart could mislead you, he does not mean you can only use the Acronis backup once, he means on one PC at once.

I will recap your questions, but before I start, take note that 64-bit XP was never properly developed or debugged, and never had anything resembling full driver development from peripheral suppliers. Only Vista and later (some would say only Win7 and later) have proper 64-bit working. So 64-bit would not as a general rule be recommend for XP at all, not forgetting that some of the software you already own may not work under 64-bits.
Sounds like I'll need to a bit of searching/scouring the internet or dual-boot

question should I do the install onto a new drive too? Entirely up to you - take into account how much space you want, how old the drive is. You will need to supply XP drivers for SATA drives during install of XP - not always easy.
The new drive I purchased is a Western Digital WD1600AAJB (with a 8Mb cache & PATA/IDE)

question can I move this drive with the 32bit OS into another computer? You may be entitled to but it will absolutely need to be freshly-installed on different hardware, for which you would need a proper retail install CD. Furthermore if the OS was supplied by a specific manufacturer for the specific model range only, it will not install at all on another PC.
The other PC looking more like a Music/Picture storage facility

question<snip>

question what happens to all the Microsoft programs Excel/Word/Powerpoint/Outlook are they invalid now? Again you are entitled to, but only if they remain only on one PC. Plus I'm not sure if the 32-bit versions work on 64-bit XP.
The other reason to dual-boot

So all-in-all your best approach is leave the PC be, and solve the USB problem instead. This question of USB faults has been covered time and again on this forum. And EXHAUSTIVELY here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic122125.html Check drivecleanup in particular.
Thanks for the input @gbhal and yes this is a very good idea which I have had looked into before. With the aid of @LookinAround and with some general successes here I'll need to get into that comfy spot in the chair and look into some of the other threads mentioned (though I seem to recall that a lot of them end with "fresh install" being the key fix)

AlbertLionheart could mislead you, he does not mean you can only use the Acronis backup once, he means on one PC at once.
Thanks for clearing that up for me much appreciated

I was unable to carry out the install of the Windows XP 64Bit on my machine, the fail install message was,,,"is not a compatible CPU for the 64 bit Windows environment"
Cheers for all the advise/help any way

I was unable to carry out the install of the Windows XP 64Bit on my machine, the fail install message was,,,"is not a compatible CPU for the 64 bit Windows environment"
Cheers for all the advise/help any way
That is because your CPU is not a 64-bit capable CPU. Solution is, get a 64-bit CPU. Most modern CPUs are now 64-bit by default anyway.

That is because your CPU is not a 64-bit capable CPU. Solution is, get a 64-bit CPU. Most modern CPUs are now 64-bit by default anyway.
To True, however that requires more than just upgrading the CPU. The rest of the machine surrounding the CPU needs the taste of something NEW too. I noticed that the Intel site upgraded their CPU search recently (since I opened the thread) to cater for the amount of enquirers researching the machine in-front of them and the potential to OR not to upgrade to Newer-Faster-Better O/S. Still believe that this machine and it's current O/S is still quick enough to carry itself for browsing and basic Office programs.
The plan is to buy a better machine (perhaps for gaming) before the support for XP install disc runs out?

windows-current-version-support-2010.png

Quoted from ZDnet.com How long will Microsoft support XP, Vista, and Windows 7? Post by Ed Bott | August 9, 2010.

Yes of course, the other hardware also needs so support it. If it has a "Compatible with Windows 7" logo, it means it is compatible with the 64-bit version too.
Windows 7 support ends in 2015, and extended support ends in 2020.

Yes of course, the other hardware also needs so support it. If it has a "Compatible with Windows 7" logo, it means it is compatible with the 64-bit version too.
Yes that is just about everything in the "gamers market" though, I don't think it'll be a Laptop because Android tablets are just so cheap (for portable computing) now !!
Oh well at least there won't be that added expense of the O/S bundled-in to the purchase,,,

Back