XP Blank screen after windows logo, can't log in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

I had a blue screen while using firefox with a couple downloads in progress and my system suddenly was restarted the typical memory dump, so I couldn't see the error codes or description.

The next time I restarted, the disk was checked and found errors in the files that were being downloaded. But the system freezed after the disk check finished.

After that, every time I try to boot Windows XP, I got a blank screen after the windows logo with the blue progress bar, just at the moment when the login screen should show up. I can't see the mouse pointer, the HD led shows no activity and the system does not respond in any possible way.

I tried starting in safe mode, but the problem persist and I can't never reach the login window. I've run many disk analyzers and antivirus from boot cds but found no errors.

Maybe this is useful information: my video card was having overheating problems and I had to "underclock" it to avoid random render defects, but besides that, everything was fine. I can confirm that the card hasn't died since I'm working in the same machine from ubuntu.

Any help would be hightly appreciated. Thanks.

Solution That worked for me:

I had the same problem and looked all over the net for a solution. I was determinied not to have to format my hard drive and re-install Windows. This is what worked for me:

1. - Make sure by entering the PC's BIOS that the CD/DVD drive is set as the first boot

device, otherwise the computer won't be able to boot from the CD. If you don't know how to

do that, visit the BIOS section of this site for the required information.

2. - Boot the system from the Windows XP CD.

3. - Windows setup will start. Use the option to press the R key to access the Recovery

Console. Select your Windows installation. It will be the only installation unless you have

more than one version of Windows installed.

4. - Enter the Administrator password when prompted for it. If you don't use one, just

press the Enter key.

5. - Enter the following commands as is:

CD C:\“system volume information\_resto~1”

DIR

6. - Choose the restore point (RPx) that you want to use by using the folder date stamps as

a guide and then enter the following commands:

CD RPx (x is the System Restore restore point that you chose)

CD SNAPSHOT

7. - Enter the following commands that overwrite the existing corrupted Registry files:

COPY _registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System

COPY _registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software

COPY _registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam

COPY _registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security

COPY _registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Enter the exit command to exit the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

.. takes some time to boot but no more black screen !!!!!!
THIS FIXED winXP Black Screen and cursor !!!!!!
Give it a shot.

(Do a second system restore from Windows itself after doing this)

If this works for you, you may have to re-install your display drivers. Also, If you cannot change your screen resolution or screen saver setting from display properties afterwards (like I couldn't), try this fix:

from Start, Run dialog, type:

regsvr32 themeui (hit enter and wait for message)
regsvr32 /i shell32 (hit enter and wait for message)

Restart Windows.

Joe B

Hope this helps. Any questions, just ask.

i had same problem and am hopeless but i restart pressing f5 then started in vga mode and it has been fine ever since hope it works for you barnaby2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back