XP boot drive doesn't recognize HDD

By ihaveaname
Aug 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys,

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 a while back, and it's been good to me. However, I want to be able to play games (specifically AOE II), so I wanted to set up a dual boot. Thing is though, when I go to install Windows XP (I am NOT installing Windows 7 on my netbook with 1GB of RAM) the netbook's HDD is not detected; it recognises my USB drive and nothing else. Any ideas on why that might be, and if so, how to fix it up? I knowXP is supposed to work on it, since it came with the computer.

CPU: Intel Atom 1.66GHz
    RAM: 1GB DDR2
    HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400RPM

Cheers
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,382   +205

Windows XP lacks most SATA drivers that are needed to recognize SATA hard drives. A floppy drive is needed to install SATA drivers at the F6 prompt but I doubt your netbook has one. Instead, you will have to make a slipstream CD that combines the regular XP CD with the appropriate SATA drivers. Do a web search to find guides to create a slipstream SATA/Windows XP CD.

Some BIOS' allow you to turn off SATA/AHCI/RAID mode and/or enable IDE mode which would eliminate the need to create a slipstream CD. However, since you already have Ubuntu on another partition, I'm not sure if doing that would harm that installation.
  3. WinXPert

WinXPert TechSpot Booster Posts: 527

How about using Wine
  4. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 127

Thanks for the help guys!
  5. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 127

Set my HDD as IDE, and it's working!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.