xp brainfart?

By onesmartidiot
Sep 3, 2006
  1. my computer got malware or somthing from a nasty website. it would go slow when my network was plugged in. when i pulled the plug from the router the computer went full speed again. i turned it off and now it wont turn on past the blue "welcome to windows" screen. i have let it sit on that for a few hours and nothing. it has done this about a year ago, but i was able to get in and save my stuff to a external hdd before i dumped windows and started over. now i cant even get in through normal, safemode, safe mode with networking. i cant just wipe it out because i have many pictures and music files that need saved. i put in my xp install disc and i can do the repair function fine... but i dont know what to type in it lol.

the only other quick soulution i have would be to buy a new (wd320gb) hard drive for thus computer, and then buy a ide to usb adaptor for the infected drive, and i havent heard much if those converters work well or not.

any help very much friggin appriciated :D
  2. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

I don't know what you mean by "I don't know what to type in it." What are you referring to? If your hard drive is infected doing a repair install will not remove the infections. Can you at least get to a command prompt so you can copy your files to an external hard drive or usb drive? If not you may need a Bart PE, Ultimate Boot CD that will hopefully let you get in and recover your files before you format and reinstall Windows.
    If you do happen to get into Windows follow these instructions carefully.
  3. focus_water

focus_water TS Rookie Posts: 168

you could get a linux live cd such as knoppix or ubuntu and then when you get into the computer you could burn everything onto a cd or save it onto another HDD.
  4. onesmartidiot

onesmartidiot TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 94

when the windows xp disc is put in and ran, i hit "r" for repair. it does some scrolling of stuff then just gives me a command prompt. i will try the ubuntu idea because i just had a few come in the mail a few days ago. ill let you guys know, thanks!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.