xp brainfart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

my computer got malware or somthing from a nasty website. it would go slow when my network was plugged in. when i pulled the plug from the router the computer went full speed again. i turned it off and now it wont turn on past the blue "welcome to windows" screen. i have let it sit on that for a few hours and nothing. it has done this about a year ago, but i was able to get in and save my stuff to a external hdd before i dumped windows and started over. now i cant even get in through normal, safemode, safe mode with networking. i cant just wipe it out because i have many pictures and music files that need saved. i put in my xp install disc and i can do the repair function fine... but i dont know what to type in it lol.

the only other quick soulution i have would be to buy a new (wd320gb) hard drive for thus computer, and then buy a ide to usb adaptor for the infected drive, and i havent heard much if those converters work well or not.

any help very much friggin appriciated :D

I don't know what you mean by "I don't know what to type in it." What are you referring to? If your hard drive is infected doing a repair install will not remove the infections. Can you at least get to a command prompt so you can copy your files to an external hard drive or usb drive? If not you may need a Bart PE, Ultimate Boot CD that will hopefully let you get in and recover your files before you format and reinstall Windows. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
If you do happen to get into Windows follow these instructions carefully. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50981.html

you could get a linux live cd such as knoppix or ubuntu and then when you get into the computer you could burn everything onto a cd or save it onto another HDD.

when the windows xp disc is put in and ran, i hit "r" for repair. it does some scrolling of stuff then just gives me a command prompt. i will try the ubuntu idea because i just had a few come in the mail a few days ago. ill let you guys know, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back