XP can't see my DVD drive

Hi
Not sure how this happened as i havent used the DVD for awhile, recently I had a few problems and i reset the bios by removing the battery, and installed SP3.

My DVD drive does not show up in My Computer or in system properties.

I have dowloaded the driver hoping to install it and fix, its a BIN file..... i read to procedure is to burn the Bin to disc, well unfortunately I cant because my DVD is kaputnik.

Any other ideas or suggestions? can i run the Bin file some other way perhaps with some sort of emulator?

Cheers

I wish it was that easy but here in Argentina electronic goods arent that cheap and the quality is usually bad, the service non existent and my Spanish is pretty shabby.

What are you doing in Argentina, not being able to speak good Spanish? I'm sure you can find a translator. Do you know anyone in the US or UK that could ship you a new drive?

My DVD drive does not show up in My Computer or in system properties.
You should first be checking if the DVD appears in BIOS and then check Device Manager (or any devices with yellow icons appear in Device Manager?)

If not in BIOS and Device Manager, you need to replace the DVD drive. If it is just missing from My Computer it might be hardware or it might be a Windows issue for that case.

The DVD drive should be set as the secondary master... With only one hard drive and CD/DVD drive installed

ok i tried the regedit and ran the reg fixer but the problem still exists.

TMagic i have two HDD and the DVD is connected to the 1st IDE, this is confirmed in the Bios. Nothing has changed there.
Should i connect the DVD to the 2nd IDE on the MOBO?

If these drives are all IDE, the boot drive should be the IDE Primary Master (or CS Cable select), the second HDD should be the Primary Slave (or CS Cable Select), and the CD/DVD drive should the Secondary IDE Master (or 2nd IDE connector CS Cable Select). SATA drives can be on any SATA channel. The SATA boot drive is set in the bios

Back