XP Code 12 No sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new here and severly stumped. I searched your website to find a solution for my problem and decide to ask for help. I have had Win 98 with working sound for many years, and purchased new install XP Home and can't get my sound card to work. It did work when I formated my disk drive and first installed XP but after updating, it didn't work. So I did a fresh install of XP and it didn't work then. Did this twice. So I think the updates didn't cause the problem. Device manager says code 12 for my audio card. "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system." Did the troubleshooter and did not fix my problem. Looking at microsoft web site I get this:

"Two devices have been assigned the same input/output (I/O) ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller does not get an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupt Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).
You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard."

Well, going to properties and clicking on resources, I do not know how to find the conflict or where to free resources. I see no conflicts under viewing resources by type or connection for I/O, DMA, and IRQ but I don't really know what to look for.

I have XP Home, AMD 1.2, Asus A7A266, Sound Blaster Live Value, Geforce 2 Pro, Linksys ethernet, 2 hard drives, 2 cd drives (1 r/w), 1024 MB ram.

Have latest BIOS 1012, upgraded to SP2 for XP, installed sound blaster drivers, DX9.0c. As for the motherboard driver, it is only for the onboard audio which I do not have. I did try installing it but nothing happened just to see if anything happend and nothing happened.

Anyone know what I can turn off or look at under the Device Manager to fix this problem? I see no conflicts under the view by resources and only under view by devices. Should I reload the BIOS? My BIOS has the auto for irq and no resource irq reserved under I/O device configuration.

Well, I fixed it and I am writing this to help any one who has this problem. If you go into the event viewer, I had a error with the IRQ but the device manager does not tell you that. Anywho, I did a safe boot which is where you hit F8 while it is booting and uninstalled everything in the sound, video, and game controllers subject. Then I rebooted in normal mode and it recognized my sound card and game controller. It did have 3 codecs, and a couple of other stuff which I uninstalled. For those that care, the event viewer gave me more information than that device manager, because the device manager did not say what the conflict was, just not enough resources. Go figure.

Welcome to TechSpot

We appreciate your problem AND it's solution. That was very considerate of you.
It just being at the end of the weekend when you posted, did not give anyone a chance to help you out sooner.

Anyway, enjoy your stay here, hope to see you around!

Installed XP - no sound

I found it!
I had recently reformatted the HD and installed XP Pro w/SP2 resulting in NO SOUND from onboard C-Media AC97 which uses CMI8738 xp driver w/no conflicts. The fix was to disable mobo onchip USB in the BIOS.
...go figure!

:bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back