XP Computer keeps freezing - no pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesg1979

Hi, I have an XP computer, SP3 with Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gb ram and 500gb HD.
Recently (in the last week), my PC will just freeze, the mouse and keyboard no longer respond and the only thing I can do is reset or turn it off.
There is no pattern (as far as I can see) as to what I'm doing when this happens. I can be mid typing a post in a forum (PLEASE DON'T FREEZE NOW MR PC!), it can be on screen saver, left for 2 hours it can be fine, reboot for 2 minutes it can freeze straight away.
I get no blue screen, no restart it just freezes like someone has taken a photo of the screen

Checked event logs, although I don't know what I'm looking for there are no errors or nasty things hapenning when it goes (kept a log to see if it's a certain time of day).

I really, really don't want to reformat, it's taken me an age to get this PC to where I want it to be, and it really would be a real shame to have to start again.

I've run scan disc once, and it appears to be fine.
The only thing I can corrolte this with is last week I was messing and constantly switching between two routers trying to get one to work - which I couldn't. Could this be linked?

Please help experts :)

Thanks

you can download a program like CPUid, through a google search, and simply look at the side of your psu in your case for the other information. As far as the video card, you can download "gpuID,"

I can't see anything on the side. I'm sorry man, I'm not trying to be awkward.
Am I going to need to open the PC up to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back