XP crash & will not reboot in safe mode. Anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have a big problem here but I'm hoping someone might have a solution..

I've had similar problems in the past. Not that frequent and a reboot is all I need to keep going.
I was using firefox, My Avast warned me of a threat, I 'moved to vault'. This kept repeating 4 or 5 times.
Error messages were popping up and I was closing them.
I closed as many tabs as possible.
All seemed to be OK and then a balloon pops up warning me that Windows firewall is inactive. I activated it - but I don't think I should as it's not usually on.
Then a minute or so later the computer crashed.

I try to start in safe mode but 'a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to protect my computer'

I get this -

0x0000007E (0xF789E508, 0xF789E204, 0xF789E508, 0xF789E1BC)

or the same but with these as the last 2 groups - 0xF789E4C0, 0xF789E1BC

I tried again and selected 'last know successful start'

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

& technical information is

STOP: 0x00000050 (oxEC6B738D, 0x00000000, 0x8A7FC08C, 0x00000002)

:(

Can anyone please help me here?

1) Instead of safe mode, have you tried the Last Known Good Configuration?

2) Have you tried Safe Mode with Command Prompt? If you can get the command prompt then see this link to try a System Restore

3) Also see [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

I tried last known good configuration.
& the safe mode with command prompt but that just took me back to the dreaded blue screen with the ' a problem's been detected..' greeting.

Fortunately I back everything up. Twice! So it could be much worse but I think my next step's going to have to be the recovery of files and folders that still needed backing up.

Thanks for those suggestions. Much appreciated.

After your sure all your stuff is backed up you can to a "repair install" with your XP install disk which attempts to repair all the Windows files and configuration without (hopefully) affecting your data

I think this was divine intervention.
I'm going to the Mac store tomorrow to spend money I don't have. I've been unconsciously praying for this day to arrive for many years now.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back