XP crashes while loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonjaguar

My wife's laptop was long overdue for a fresh start, so I broke out the Windows "restore" disks that came with it (4 in all) and go through there little hoops and what not, when I get to the end of the 4th disk it ejected it and then shut down.
Nothing to shooking yet.
But then it trys to restart and while it shows the "Windows XP Loading" screen after about 2 seconds it flashes the blue screen of death right quick and shuts down. I've tried starting in Safe mode, and all the other options, also started over again with the restore, the same thing keeps happening.
Any idea's?
Compaq Presario R4000
XP Home (or was)
AMD Sempron 1.8 GHz

Have you tried running it a second time - it may be that either the restore CD is bad or you have a bad hard drive.
Do you have access to a copy of the Microsoft Windows XP Home install CD?

I did run it a second time. Same thing happened after the end of the 4th CD. The only operating system that I have an actuall install CD's for is XP Pro, and 98SE.
The hard drive was working perfectly (Other than loaded with crap) before attempting the restore.

Possible bad CD or is it installing something that does not belong. It is also possible that the restore process did not reset the partitions.
Given your resources, I would try installing XP Pro to see if it works OK. Install as a new installation and when you get to the point where you can delete the partition - delete them all and then exit with F3. Now try the restore routine (again!)
Let us know how you get on.

no sucess

Alright, I tried the new instalation with the XP CD, I deleted all files and started over with a new install including once again reformating the hard drive. After everything was set and the partition was deleted I exited just prior to installing windows, inserted the recovery CD and went through that whole process again and once again just after the completion of the 4th CD it gave me the "EJECT!" message... Then took the liberty of ejecting the CD itself shutting down and attempting to restart.
Once again it brought up the "Windows XP Home" loading screen for about 2 seconds, then a flash of blue to quick to read and shut down again.
Now it is once again in the loop of starting up, crashing, and restarting.

Given that the installation with the XP Pro looks as if it had worked, the only conclusion is that there is something the matter with your Compaq install set.
If you can get hold of an XP Home, install using that and the key on the laptop. Get what drivers you can from the install CD set, the rest from the net.

Sorta fixed

I had an old laptop hard drive sitting in a parts bin that I put in and installed XP Pro on it. It's only a little 10 gig but then again there was a time when 10 was HUGE!! I mean what would you ever need 10 whole gigs for?
Anyways I'm going to try and restore it with the disks and see it that works. Then at least I'll know if its the disks or the hard drive. And it gives me nother hard drive to screw around with.
Thank you for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back