XP desktop icons won't stay put

By Tomi-Wan
Jul 10, 2008
  1. Last week I was playing JDoom (new graphic version of doom) and it crashed, totally shutdown the game. When it went back to my desktop my wallpaper was shrunk and my icons were all mixed up. I found my screen resolution was changed to a higher setting, so I reset to my normal but had to rearrange my icons back to where I had them. The next morning when I turned pc on, the icons were all mixed up again and I can't get them to stay put!!!
    I googled and found a program (layout.exe) that's supposed to store icon layout and then restore them when they get moved, but it doesn't work. I've tried with auto arrange on and off & grid on and off!
    Any ideas?????
  2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Right click on the Desktop> Arrange icons by> UNCHECK 'Auto Arrange'> CHECK 'align to grid'> CHECK 'show icons'> CHECK 'Show Desktop items'> CHECK 'Lock Web items'.
  3. Tomi-Wan

Tomi-Wan TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Didn't work, rebooted and they moved again.
    Really frustrating ;-(
  4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Run scan with your security programs: antivirus and at least two spyware/adware programs. Update each right before the scan.
  5. Tomi-Wan

Tomi-Wan TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Over the weekend I ran AVG 8, Spybot, Adaware and Superantispyware; they found a few things (like they do every week I run them) but the icons still move when I reboot or open a windows system program like control panel.
    Guess I'm stuck with this problem until I'm forced to re-install xp.
  6. 1101doc

1101doc TS Rookie

In my experience, icons failing to "stay put' is connected to Display Properties settings. When I right click my Desktop and choose Properties, and then the "Desktop" tab, I find a rectagular button to the lower left of the dialog box that is labeled "Customize Desktop."

Pushing that button opens a new dialog with 2 tabs. I find that having any boxes checked on those 2 tabs results in my icons "auto-arranging" as you describe.

The only things I keep checked under "Arrange Icons by..." are "Align to Grid," and "Show Desktop Icons."

I suggest that if your "Security" scans are finding a "few things"
    there may be more that can be done to protect your system from becoming infected in the first place. I also scan weekly, and it is a rare and unusual event to find any malware of any type, including tracking cookies.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.