XP does not boot after hardware change

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoTaMi

Hi there,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in...

Yesterday I got a new motherboard, processor and memory sticks... after putting everything together I tried booting the PC up but it only goes up to the black windows start screen and it reboots automatically.:dead:

If I change back to the old hardware it boots up perfectly fine, so I assume the prob is with the change.

Do I have to re-install or repair windows since I have changed so much hardware?

Thank you for any help in advance, hope to "hear" from you soon.:blush:

Edit: Forgot to say that it doesn't even go into safe mode. Have tried it and it just reboots anyway.

Yes Im not 100% sure about repairing it, but when you replace the motherboard you cant just put a harddrive that has windows already install on it... the OS has to be installed whilst connected to the currnet motherboard
(In some cases it has worked for me but its very rare)

Your best off backing up your data with the old parts in,

and then wipe and reload the harddrive with the new parts in...

that would work fine, unless anyone knows a way around it...

Crai!!

Well, thank you for the swift reply... was hoping it wouldn't come to installing windows again *shiver*

Joe is pretty much correct, as its often 'easier' to reinstall. BUT i've managed the switch over every time. Although I have had to re-activate windows by ringing MS each time as i've significantly changed the hardware.

Bottom line, as joe said, backup your data and reinstall mate :)

Oh well...

... guess I better get to it then.

Thanks again for the replies guys! :stickout:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back