TechSpot

XP does not recognize external SATA drive

By josbd
Jan 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all

At the moment, I am using a very old pc (don't ask!). The mobo is an Intel D101GGC. It is very slow, tho maxed out on RAM, but it works.

I have a hard drive, salvaged from a previous pc, which I had working via SATA cables/usb. I decided to buy a caddy, shoved hdd in, and upon connecting it, light comes on, disk hums, get the usual "ding dong" sound, and "found new drive/drive ready to be used" comes up.

However, the drive doesn't show up under My Computer, nor in Disk Management. I can find it as a mass storage device under usb in Device Manager tho

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it; checked with Tweak UI, and all possible drive combinations are ticked; scanned for hardware changes.

I should say this is a powered 3.5" SATA enclosure. The drive has my entire music collection on it, and is 250 gb.

I really could do with your help, before it and pc fly through the window!

Many thanks.

2. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 301

3. josbd

josbd TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 196

Thanks for the reply. The drive does not show in Disk Management under Drives. This shows only drive C and my SB X-Fi Go drive, which is drive G.