XP Does Not Recognize SATA Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I attached a new sata drive to my mother board
bios detected sata drive as non- raid which is correct

i logged into windows disk manager utility sata drive was not detected. I could not locate the drive in xp under device manager or disk manager.

Connected sata drive to usb port via sata usb adapter drive was detected right away in xp and proceed to format the drive into ntfs using the usb adapter.

Shut down the computer once again reconnected sata drive to the motherboard went back into disk management utility in xp and still no sata drive.

If has anyone experience the same problem and can provide me with a solution would be really appreciated

not sure if hardware details are necessary but i can provide them on request.

Thank you in advance

joe

I'd say faulty Sata port or Sata data cable (ie test by replacing this)

Also run Bios setup defaults on your Motherboard (this area accessed by pressing the valid key - DEL usually, as your computer first turns on)

thanks for your advice. replaced cable with no change in outcome. Question . What do you mean by BIOS Defaults The sata drive was detected immediately thru bios even after I moved SATA Drive from SATA1 connection on the MB to SATA 2.

any other ideas
Thanks

You will need to confirm all your Motherboard drivers are up to date: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic117607.html

Again also run Bios Setup Defaults by pressing DEL or whatever key it states when it first turns on

This could also be a Bios update for newer drive recognition or something (confirm at your driver support page)

There's 3 ideas ;)

Once you are in the BIOS (setup) for your computer you need to enable SATA as native. The wording may be different but in essence you are telling your system to treat SATA drives as native (meaning they are treated as IDE drives and don't need additional drivers).. This is not always a default setting. After that you should be able to plug in to motherboard and use it that way.

You might have a SATA compatible motherboard, but XP does not have native SATA drivers. They must be installed when you install XP. Hit F6 to load the drivers off the software that should have come with the drives.

You might have a SATA compatible motherboard, but XP does not have native SATA drivers. They must be installed when you install XP. Hit F6 to load the drivers off the software that should have come with the drives.

This bit is correct but a little confusing.

You only get the option to hit F6 when you first install windows onto a SATA drive. This is when you need to use the Serial ATA driver that come supplied with the motherboard.

Not sure if you can add the SATA driver software at a later date to windows so that windows will see any new SATA drives that are added to the system.However the below links give better advice.

Also you might want to look at this to see if any answers there help like the power but this might not count as you say the bios sees it.Continue onto the second part as well at the bottom of the screen.
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/adding-sata-hard-drive.php
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/adding-sata-hard-drive2.php

If you use the "native" setting I mention above you do not need extra drivers period. That is the purpose of it making it "native"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back