XP driver crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I just got a new computer to go to university with, however its crashed once or twice.
It was bought from Northgate who have gone bust, so i have no tech support to call.
It has crashed three times, its just as if its rebooted itself. I have installed a graphics card, but it has up to date drivers for XP.
I did install a sound card which i thought was the problem, i removed it and disabled the drivers (turns out it was rubbish anyway so sticking with the onboard sound).
I can't think of what other hardware could be causing the problem. Its worrying me as i am using my PC as a tv/cd/dvd/ so am going to have no form of electronic entertainment whilst @ uni if i don't get it sorted. Its also going to be a nightmare when writing essays.
I have a restore cd which i could use but i don't want to lose the files i have on my comp already. Will the restore cd delete my files and settings in windows?
The error message i get is BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BF86EA43 BCP3 : F8795A20
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1
"windows has encountered a serious error"
When i click on the microsoft page it tells me that its caused by a unknow driver device (very helpful :rolleyes: )Thanks for your help.

The crash may be caused by faulty ram or device driver error. When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 or 1003 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump. Check system event 1001 and 1003 and it has the content of the blue screen

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.The bugcheck was : 0xc000000a (0xe1270188, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804032100).
Microsoft Windows..... A dump was saved in: .......

Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Description:
Error code 1000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001/1003. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 5 to 6 minidumps to a zip file and attach it here. Techspot has an upper limit of 100K per attachment. I will study the dump and find out the culprit.

Thanks for the reply, hope this is the info that you wanted.
I've been using the computer all day and it hasn't crashed. :confused: Once again thanks for your help.

After investigation, the culprit maybe faulty ram.

You can run memtest to stress the ram. If memtest reports the ram is faulty, ram is bad. However Memtest is not a perfect tool to test the memory as some faulty can pass memtest.

Suggestion
1. Reseat the memory stick to another memory slot
2. Downclock the ram
3. Clean the inside the computer case
4. Make sure that the ram is compatible to the motherboard
If it still crashes, diagnostic which memory stick is faulty
1. Take out one memory stick. If windows does not crash, the removed memory stick is faulty.
2. If you have only one memory stick, replace the ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back