XP freeze, restart, bluescreen of death - how to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungua

This morning I started my Dell XPS M1530 with a fully updated XP, no new software or hardware. I logged in to my Gmail-account, went to take the eggs of the stove and upon return the machine was frozen, I could move the cursor though. CTRL+ALT+DEL was to no help, so I induced a hard restart. This went directly to a bluescreen, but it took a while. Since, the bluescreen comes up faster and faster. No safe mode works. Nothing in the BIOS indicates a hardware problem. This is the message I get:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Control that any new software or hardware is installed properly! (...)

Teknisk Informasjon:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xRA459658, 0xC000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

(probably:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xBA459658, 0xC000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The ting is that this machine has been the most improbable piece of crap I have ever had. It came with a cracked battery, I recently needed a new harddisc (after six months) with very bad service from Dell, all ports have become sloppy, it runs extremely hot (up to 80+ degree celsius) though Dell says they are not concerned until 90 degrees. I have tried to return the machine, but that will not work without a money loss for me. If this is a hardware problem again I will force them to take back the machine.

And what, btw is the meaning of a bod when it is shown for half a second before a restart? I had to film it and then select a single image from the film. Jeeez. I am so mad!

++

I can add the following:

Software running during crash: Firefox 3.5.8 installed two days before in automated update without problems. Automated update of Flash followed.

Notebook is protected with Zonealarm Free, AVG Free; FF runs with Noscript and ABP.

XP was set up a couple of weeks before Christmas, when Dell gave me a new hard disk - the old one was slowly dying, being six months old. I update XP continuosly, except for iexplore and Outlook, which I don't use. XP was well configured, maintained with Ccleaner (not run for 10 days), and I had not experienced any similar problems with this installation.

I appreciate any comments, I really need some help on this one.

edit: I also found this one, indicating that something with the file system might be broken (the following codes do not comply). But it does not tell if my data will be damaged? Anyone knows?

Make sure that the boot (C) hard drive is properly selected as the first boot device in the bios... Then try this tip to fix the Master Boot Record (FIXMBR):
Fix MBR

Thank you for your advice! Trouble is: We just moved, I went through all that is stuffed away in unused rooms, and found most things, but not my XP cd. I found an old German one - can I use whatever XP cd I find? I am working on renovating my study, and have not yet unpacked books and software. I found a cakebox/cd spindle with software, but no OS other than Kubuntu.

So, any way to get to the console mode from where to repair the damage without a proper XP cd?

I don't know if you can use an old copy of XP Home, but XP Pro install disc should have the MBR fix. It won't hurt to try the disc you have...

I was unsure if this would "break" anything when I use a different version of XP. In the meantime I found and ran Dell diagnostics, and it says the harddisk is broken, with some blocks non-readable. So I guess it is a hardware error again, and before trying to fix it, I will attempt to save as much data as possible.

Concur with 'change the computer' it looks more like motherboard failure than HDD failure to me. Other (lesser) possibility is corrupted motherboard drivers - you could try reinstalling those from Dell site.

"I will force them to take back the machine"...

Here in the USA, if a laptop is out of warranty we are out of luck asking for a replacement. With the history of your laptop, Dell should replace it, in the name of good customer relations. I believe it is another bad hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back