XP freezes upon login, system locks up 3-6 times per day (screen also hibernates), invalid boot path

mooney12

Hi, a few questions

Can anyone help me find out why my pc keeps crashing? I'm not sure what info to provide other than hardware specs and the fact that it always crashes when I play Tibianic.org's custom Tibia client... It even does it sometimes when I'm just web browsing, listening to music, messing with files.. It will lock up and give me a green screen full of bars. Or the monitor goes to sleep and system locks up, I used to be able to put it in hibernate and bring it out of its locked up state but not anymore, button doesn't respond.

Also, if I don't wait at login screen for 20 seconds it will freeze at the desktop after I log in and computer completley locks up

Thirdly, Upon boot-up, there is an invalid path for vista which I had on a partition which I am not sure how to get rid of.

Computer is about 4 years old and put together myself (been crashing since soon after I put it together but not any where near as often as now)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

specs:
Firefox fully updated
Java disabled
adobe updated
.netFW updated
visual c++ installed, updated
directx installed and updated

start up programs:
mbamgui
forcefield
zatray
reader_sl
jusched
hdeck
fourengine
adobearm
clistart
ctfmon
greenshot
netsession_win
utorrent
x-mouse button control

disk check ran recently no problems
disk defrag not in a while
299 gb of storage left
empty 45gb partition (used to have vista on it)
no matter how much I cleaned dust out of system still wouldn't fix the problem

4gb 2x2 gskill ddr3 ram
4830 radeon hd 512mb (sapphire, fully updated) amd overdrive@ maxed out
graphics set for performance

intel wolfdale dual core @ 2.8ghz
antec earthwatts psu@ 430 watts
WD 640GB HDD @
asus p5q se plus mobo (updated)
.auxilliary sound card, diamond brand (not in use)
samsung dvd/cd rw drive
3 80mm fans
1 200 mm fan

anti virus: mbam, zone alarm
firewall: windows, zone alarm

This sounds like a graphics card/driver problem:
"4830 radeon hd 512mb (sapphire, fully updated) amd overdrive@ maxed out
graphics set for performance"...
Try lowering the graphics settings or replacing this video card

So what do you mean by:
"4830 radeon hd 512mb (sapphire, fully updated) amd overdrive@ maxed out
graphics set for performance?

Amd overdrive is a stock over clocking application, I used to have the card and fan speed set to full overclocking, and my graphics set for performance via CCC (catalyst control center) sapphire is its brand and I had the drivers updated recently

So are these settings changed to the lowest, and you are still having problems with lockups and screen hibernation? If so, change the video card or check it for dust and dirt contamination

Yes, very.. and no crashes since last night, however I still freeze after logging in if I don't wait at the welcome screen for 20 seconds

Have you run CHKDSK (check disk) by going to computer and right-clicking on the C drive? Select properties, tools and check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk test on the next start up. Freezing like you are experiencing can corrupt hard drive files

Disk check, completed, still freezes upon logging in my account.. dont know about crashes yet, although I only had one today around 6pm

Back