XP Home-Will previous install conflict with New disk version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper55

Hey all...I have a Dell Latitude CPX J650 that I bought in a pawn shop. Previous owner had XP Home, 2002, SP2 installed on it but did not provide the disks to the pawn shop so I never got the os disks. Version installed is recognized by Microsoft and I have been able to get updates, no problem. Wanting to have my own OEM copy of XP Home in case of needing files for either repair/system file check/re-install, I purchased an OEM XP Home, 2002, SP2 software with its own serial # and license. If I were to need to do a repair/sfc/or re-install, will there be a conflict in the installed copy recognizing this new disk and making the necessary repair or sfc from this disk? What is the general experience out there on this kind of situation. Thanks...

If I were to need to do a repair/sfc/or re-install, will there be a conflict

Repair will work
Re-install will work
sfc /scannow will probably not work

You should have just purchased the original disk from HP again. (Sometimes even eBay)
Mind you, this is usually a Restore disc only

You said, "You should have just purchased the original disk from HP again. "

Thanks for the reply, Kimsland. I think you meant to say Dell instead of HP, but I get what you meant. Unfortunately the XP Home loaded on the Dell Latitude CPX J650 that I mentioned was what the previous owner installed himself to replace the 98SE that was originally installed on this machine-sticker on bottom of Dell states that OEM on Service Tag-so I don't believe that was an option for me to try to get a replacement disk of the XPHome from Dell. I don't know, would that be an option for me, you think? Actually your answer is 2/3 comforting as far as the repair or re-install question, with only the sfc being the other 1/3 and being the possible conflict, so I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad as Meatloaf would say, huh?

Umm Dell I mean. Thanks for that.

I also confirm that a restore disc would highly likely not exist on an original 98 machine.

Also I thought I better mention another issue.

The Xp disc you have. Does that work with the key (COA) that's presently installed?
That also can be an issue too.
ie If you decide to do a repair, the key that's presently is being used, may not work with the disc you have.
I purchased an OEM XP Home, 2002, SP2 software with its own serial # and license
So basically you now have two keys. The one presently installed, and the new one.

To confirm the difference (and the key that you may use again one day (possibly)
You can use this program, to see what is your actual key (and then write it down)
I just tested it. It still works.

Keyfinder 1.06
http://majorgeeks.com/Keyfinder_Thing_Lite_d5253.html
License: Freeware
Requires: Win All

You say, "I also confirm that a restore disc would highly likely not exist on an original 98 machine."

Agreed, I think this is very unlikely to be an option and even if it were my setup is now XP.

When you say, "Also I thought I better mention another issue.
The Xp disc you have. Does that work with the key (COA) that's presently installed?"

Don't know yet as the disk I bought has just arrived and I haven't opened it or tried it yet. Actually, after I ordered the new XP Home, SP2 from COMP-USA was when I got to wondering about a possible conflict and figured I'd better ask. I know, this is a little bit of the cart in front of the horse on my part here. Had a brain lapse or two, I guess.

And when you say, "...ie If you decide to do a repair, the key that's presently is being used, may not work with the disc you have...So basically you now have two keys. The one presently installed, and the new one."
You're on the money. That is exactly what I was afraid of and exactly what I was asking about. The XP presently installed is from the disk the previous owner installed and from the disk I don't have and the new disk I just got from COMP-USA is a complete brand new XP Home 2002, SP2 with a different serial# and license. I was just hoping that if I just needed the os disk for say an sfc run or for a repair install that it would not matter to the existing install what disk it came from when it asks for the disk and only matter that it was a legitimate original disk of the os. Since so far the existing install of the XP is glitch-free and stable, I don't want to have to re-install it unless I absolutely have to as I've heard and read many a nightmare about corrupted installs and BSODs from re-installs that I'm not in any hurry to do it. I just wanted the security blanket of having the full legitimate XP OEM disk directly from Microsoft in my possession for any problem eventualities.

Thanks much for the reply and for the keyfinder program. I'll extract my present install key# and do as you suggest and write it down for any later need I may have. As I said before, I know this present install is legitimate and recognized by Microsoft because I've gotten updates and patches from MS, no problem, so they confirm its legitimacy. I guess I'll just have to do a little exploring on my own with the new disk and see if I'm allowed to use it in how I hoped I would, but even if not I at least have a legitimate copy of my own and it was a valuable lesson learned in all of this for not too much $ as it only cost me $89.99+tax+S&H~$101.00. Since I like XP, I can always use it on this machine or another if I decide, so I'm ok with that. Only problem is, I still may be back on square1 and left with my original dilema of wanting to have backup support for the present install of XP on the Latitude but I'm not giving up yet. Thanks...Best to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back